Open Enrollment and Commissions

ameneses54

Guru
100+ Post Club
Although the next open enrollment is far away, I'd like to know how agents are handling each client that's already on their books, specially considering the almost zero commission for re-enrollments in the same plan or company.
In the past, I've opted from starting from scratch on those customers that were automatically re-enrolled through the Marketplace and got a tremendous not foreseen hike in the premium.
After repeating the app from scratch the premium usually was reduced substantially.
Any ideas?

It's hard to predict exactly how the gov will handle the tax credits next year.

Assuming they handle it the same way as this past OE, I will be re-processing their tax credits with them sooner rather than later. I had quite a few clients end up having to pay substantially more for their January and February premiums than they needed to. In some cases it was cost-prohibitive and coverages lapsed.

Here is what we plan to do:

Contact clients to see if they can still access their ACA accounts prior to AEP start. If we used healthsherpa, let them know we have that info on file.

Do a quick search on each rating area (16 in NC) as soon as rates are available to determine who is most competitive each rating area.

Email all clients, letting them know we will contacting them shortly and there may be new carriers/rates/plans/etc in their area.

Email out link to timetrade.com so they can set their own appointments on our calendars. With timetrade we set up some days are current clients, other days are for new clients only.

Asking for referrals all throughout this process.

R

Here is what we plan to do:

Email out link to timetrade.com so they can set their own appointments on our calendars. With timetrade we set up some days are current clients, other days are for new clients only.

How did you like using Timetrade last OEP?
I used an excel spreadsheet and coordinated via email/phone

Although the next open enrollment is far away, I'd like to know how agents are handling each client that's already on their books, specially considering the almost zero commission for re-enrollments in the same plan or company.
In the past, I've opted from starting from scratch on those customers that were automatically re-enrolled through the Marketplace and got a tremendous not foreseen hike in the premium.
After repeating the app from scratch the premium usually was reduced substantially.
Any ideas?

What are you talking about?

Renewal commissions aren't zero for most national companies. Cigna is flat for lifetime, Humana is 4% renewal, 6% FYC, UHC goes down to 2% in year 3 but OK for year 2, Aetna goes to a smaller PMPM level that is flat for years 2+.

I guess you need help, but it's pretty straight forward for me-I review rates in each area when they are released and determine the best options for my clients in those areas. If they have one of the better plans, I suggest they renew, if there is a better option, I suggest they switch.

It all works out each year and I make a good living and my clients have affordable, good health insurance (for the most part), what more can anyone say?

Renewal commissions aren't zero for most national companies. Cigna is flat for lifetime, Humana is 4% renewal, 6% FYC, UHC goes down to 2% in year 3 but OK for year 2, Aetna goes to a smaller PMPM level that is flat for years 2+.

I guess you need help, but it's pretty straight forward for me-I review rates in each area when they are released and determine the best options for my clients in those areas. If they have one of the better plans, I suggest they renew, if there is a better option, I suggest they switch.

It all works out each year and I make a good living and my clients have affordable, good health insurance (for the most part), what more can anyone say?

FLM....this one is very regional. Some states are seeing 2% or 0% after year 1.

We're preparing by letting our clients know that we will not be assisting with Covered CA. We have turned over the info so our clients can log into their account. It is something I do not want to be in control of anymore. We have 260 in Covered CA and it is enough of a headache

Very interesting the numbers for renewals, although they are way different from what my agency is paying. Humana's new policies pay 5% and 1% renewal.

Very interesting the numbers for renewals, although they are way different from what my agency is paying. Humana's new policies pay 5% and 1% renewal.

Those are Humana's standard, direct commissions in many states, here is the 2015 Producer Partnership document, individual Major Medical commissions are on page 15: http://apps.humana.com/marketing/documents.asp?file=2134184. There are several states with 5% FYC but all of them have 4% renewals; the only exception is LA HMO (I am not licensed in LA).

The other companies I quoted are accurate as well.

It really boggles my mind when an agent makes over 200 posts on this board and doesn't take the time to research things as basic as 'how much will I get paid' and 'am I getting a fair deal?'

Your agency is screwing you over, big time, do you realize that now?

Those are Humana's standard, direct commissions in many states, here is the 2015 Producer Partnership document, individual Major Medical commissions are on page 15: http://apps.humana.com/marketing/documents.asp?file=2134184. There are several states with 5% FYC but all of them have 4% renewals; the only exception is LA HMO (I am not licensed in LA).

The other companies I quoted are accurate as well.

It really boggles my mind when an agent makes over 200 posts on this board and doesn't take the time to research things as basic as 'how much will I get paid' and 'am I getting a fair deal?'

Your agency is screwing you over, big time, do you realize that now?
Yep, I think your right. The problem is what happens to pending commissions if I change by agency. As I've heard, you lose them if you contract with somebody else. I may be wrong hopefully.

Back