Out of pocket cost for two concurrent surgeries

Italnsd

Hello, I would like to have some clarifications on the out of pocket costs for a patient that decides to have two concurrent surgeries, only one of which is covered by insurance.
In my case, I need to have a hiatal hernia repair surgery, which is covered by my insurance, and I have been considering coupling it with a concurrent bariatric surgery (sleeve gastrectomy) which has been recommended to me to mitigate my hypertension and sleep apnea conditions and prevent a potential onset of diabetes. The problem is that my BMI is not above the limit of 35, which is the threshold required by my insurance to approve the surgery.
Besides the obvious advantage of being cut open once instead of twice, my thinking was that a concurrent surgery would significantly lower my out of pocket cost for the non-covered surgery with respect to have it performed "as standalone". In other words I thought that the only relevant out of pocket cost would be the bills of the doctors performing the surgery because the facility cost and the anesthesia cost would not be significantly increased by the addition of the the second procedure ( just the incremental cost for the longer use of the surgery room and the personnel in it), and hence they would be essentially covered by the insurance payment for the covered surgery.
Instead, I was given a financial estimate in which the out of pocket savings that I would receive by the concurrent procedure are very marginal (about $500 on a total cost of $20000).
My questions are:
1) Is it standard that facility and anesthesia costs are basically doubled when one has two concurrent procedures? After a little research my understanding is that, if both procedures were covered, the insurance would reduce even the surgeon fee for the second one by 50%. I would assume that the reduction would be even larger for the other costs, but I was not able to find any info in that regard. In other words, is this a "legitimate charge" or am I been taken advantage for "stepping out of the protection of the insurance"?
2) Even worse, how likely is that I am being charged much higher facility and anesthesia costs for the out of pocket procedure than those contracted by the insurance for the covered surgery?

I apologize for the long post, but I would highly appreciate any help in understanding this issue. Thank you

You will not receive a definitive answer here. You need to be completely upfront with your carrier, and even then, you may not get an accurate estimate of the cost.

Carriers have their own policy for this, called multiple procedure payment reduction. They will review your bills and recognize some charges for the eligible claim and reject the others from the cosmetic, assuming it is not an eligible expense. Yes, you will probably have a lower cost.

What I would caution you about is the idea of have multiple procedures (I am not a physician). Here again, you should be completely honest with both physicians. Cosmetic surgeons usually say it’s a great idea, while the others tend to not. Good luck.

Thank you both for your replies.
How close to the magic number of 35 are you?
Hi fed up, I am at 31.7

You need to be completely upfront with your carrier, and even then, you may not get an accurate estimate of the cost. [...] Here again, you should be completely honest with both physicians. Cosmetic surgeons usually say it’s a great idea, while the others tend to not. Good luck.

Hi leevena, can you clarify what you mean by suggesting that I need to be completely upfront with my carrier and with both physicians? Maybe I did not express myself clearly. There is only one physician involved, who recommended me both procedures and would perform both. While he informed me that the hiatal hernia repair is covered by the insurance and the bariatric procedure is not, he stressed that there are both medical and financial advantages in performing them concurrently. However the financial estimate for the bariatric procedure that the doctor's office itself gave me showed only a marginal saving, due to the facility and anesthesia cost, which are dictated by a third party (the hospital).
I have not involved my insurance carrier in this estimate because I assumed they would not have any interest in reducing my cost for a non-covered procedure. Are you suggesting me instead to contact my carrier because they would actually care to reduce my out of pocket cost for the bariatric procedure by claiming that certain services had already been provided and paid for under the covered procedure? That would be a great thing indeed.

Thank you

First and foremost, what does your member name mean...I have a guess.

Did not know it was the same doctor, sorry. I assume you need to pre-cert the covered procedure. Since you want to get a clear picture of your expenses, call customer service and explain it to them and ask for their multiple procedure policy. Not saying don’t have it done, just explaining how to get an understanding of the situation before hand. Good luck.

Back