Outlook 2010 Contact Manager

Jack, it doesn't appear anyone has checked it out yet. I felt bad seeing your post unanswered so I jumped in.

I have checked out Outlook 2010 and the Business Contact Manager add-in. It's pretty good!

My biggest drawbacks are that you can't keep documents WITHIN the contact - like Act! does. There's still a learning curve with it - as with any kind of transition.

I'll be sticking with Act, but Outlook with Business Contact Manager is a decent contender as long as you don't mind "linking" your documents to the contact instead of keeping a copy of the actual document there.

Of course, it may be a moot point if you're using OneNote 2010 along with Outlook 2010 with BCM...?

Download Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2010 - Microsoft Office

This software is VERY good! If you have Outlook 2010, you should get the BCM addin for FREE! click the link above. And no, I have no affiliation with Microsoft.

Backing up your database is easy.

Customizing the contact screen is easy.

Creating your sales processes and follow-ups is also easy.

Just download it and check it out for yourself.

Do you know if it works with Windows 7 64 bit? And syncs with Google calendar?

Do you know if it works with Windows 7 64 bit? And syncs with Google calendar?

Nothing works with Windows 7 64 bit!.....Sorry I know this isn't a true statement but I'm tired of all the software that doesn't work well with. This comment has nothing to do with Outlook 2010 or its BCM....

Getting started with Google Calendar Sync - Google Calendar Help

Outlook with BCM uses your basic Outlook calendar. It doesn't have a separate calendar. Use the link above to download the Google Calendar Sync and you'll be syncing with your Google calendar really quickly.

Microsoft Office works with Windows 7 64-bit. (Do you realize that you had just asked if a new microsoft product worked with a new microsoft product???)

Getting started with Google Calendar Sync - Google Calendar Help

Outlook with BCM uses your basic Outlook calendar. It doesn't have a separate calendar. Use the link above to download the Google Calendar Sync and you'll be syncing with your Google calendar really quickly.

Microsoft Office works with Windows 7 64-bit. (Do you realize that you had just asked if a new microsoft product worked with a new microsoft product???)

Thanks for the link. I will try it. Need it to sync automaticly to keep my droid synced.

>>Do you realize that you had just asked if a new microsoft product worked with a new microsoft product???

We are talking microsoft.

Thanks again.

Getting the MOST out of Outlook 2010 Business Contact Manager. (I know I can get rather 'techy'... but not nearly as al3 would!)

I’ve been working with this tool off and on, and now I’m HOOKED! Since I haven’t seen any other really useful tips on using BCM (anywhere), I thought I’d add a post to this thread.

1) Keep in mind that BCM is a separate program within Outlook. If you don’t click on it, it’s too easy to forget it’s even there. And it can be somewhat difficult to navigate. So, I had Outlook open DIRECTLY into the Contact Management section. Go to File – Options – Advanced – “Start Outlook in This Folder” & choose BCM’s Contact Management. Now, when you open it, you’ll see your tabs for Accounts & Business Contacts in a LIST VIEW.

1a) Get rid of those gadgets while you’re at it. They simply take up space and aren’t that useful. If you want to view your gadgets, use the “Dashboard” view by clicking directly on the “Business Contact Manager” folder.

1b) I really like that pane on the right that gives you a “contact summary”. However, I would take out the “Communication History” (that stores Outlook-type events linked to the contact) and have it show your own Comments instead. Just click “Select Sections” and pick what you want shown.

2) Create an “Inactive” tab for those contacts or leads that are no longer active (but you still want to retain the record and send out correspondence). Click to create the tab, name it, and choose filters. Go to Advanced Filter – Field Name (Active) and choose “Is Not Selected”. Now you can look up all your inactive leads and contacts! (Of course, that means you’ll actually have to USE that feature…)

3) Move your BCM folder to the top above your email .pst folders. It just makes it easier to find and navigate to when you need it. Just click and drag it.

4) Create different kinds of custom accounts and business contacts to help you further classify your contacts. Note that when you do this, BCM will automatically create a new tab in your Contact Management folder! That’s cool!

4a) You can choose different icons to represent different accounts and contacts. Search online for other icons (.ico) when the ones presented don’t quite match what you’re looking for.

5) Project Management is great for managing recurring projects with checklists and timelines. This is great for managing all the timelines and tasks related to putting on seminars, trade shows or other promotional events that are more involved.

6) I really can’t stand the “Linking” thing that this program makes you do with files and notes that are outside of Outlook.

You can either:

a) Drag and drop the file into an appropriate .pst file in Outlook

b) Use OneNote to link to the contact. In OneNote you can store just about anything there for future reference.

c) Add a field for an online document storage URL (like Box.net). In Box.net, you can set up a folder to “share” and have it generate a URL. Just name a file after your contact/account and copy/paste the URL into the new field you generated.

7) Don’t forget that you can “right click” on all the other sections of Outlook 2010 to have them open up in another window. This is very handy so you can keep your contacts and contact notes open and in front of you at all times.

This is one of the few CRM programs that can work really well on a NETBOOK! I tried Act! 2011, SugarCRM and some other ones. (YIO just doesn't quite fit on my 1024x600 resolution netbook screen. I've hacked my resolution, but it just doesn't quite look right.) Each has it’s pluses and minuses. Now that I can get Outlook to actually ACT like a CRM program… I think I’ve got a keeper!

Back