Outlook 2010 Contact Manager

DHK, I have Outlook 2007 but never installed BCM. Does BCM have the ability to run birthday and anniversary sorts, etc? I don't need something as full-featured as Ebix or RedTail, but I need a bit more than just Outlook alone.

Outlook 2007 BCM isn't as user-friendly as the 2010 version. I found it quite slow and "buggy". I used to have it, but once 2010 came out, I have permanently switched.

As you can tell from my screenshot below, yes, you can run birthday reports and anniversary reports in the 2010 version.

Last edited:
Getting the MOST out of Outlook 2010 Business Contact Manager. (I know I can get rather 'techy'... but not nearly as al3 would!)

I appreciate every bit of your techy-ness! Quick question. Is their anything in BCM that would give my assistant, whose office is separate from mine, access to it? I know nothing about networking or file sharing so I know this is probably a dumb question, but I'm about to spend lots of money so that Prophet On Demand by Avidian will give her access to our contacts without me setting up my own network. If BCM does allow multiple users, it might be worth the trouble of setting up something (and I have no clue what that something even is).

If you're talking about a completely off-site office, that may be difficult. You'd need to "sync" the database somehow. I'm thinking that you'd need to set up a VPN connection.

You can network this database, but it needs to be a "direct" connection to the database. Perhaps you can set up a computer as a "server" along with a VPN connection to access the computer?

There are forums specific to Outlook that might be able to help you answer this question.

Outlook 2010 with Business Contact Manager features and benefits - Outlook - Microsoft Office

Share customer information with colleagues. Create Share contact and sales information with those in your team who need it. When a potential customer calls, your salespeople have the information they need to close the sale.

Stay connected when you are out of the office. When you’re on the road, you can work offline on your portable computer, and then synchronize information when you return.

Uhhh... why don't you download both and see what you like?

Business Contact Manager is free if you have a license key for Office 2010.

YIO is a pretty good program. I like it! It's simple and easy to use. However, I find that it doesn't integrate with Outlook as much as I would like. There are some other quirks, but that's just my opinion.

DHK,
How does it compare to ACT? I am considering ACT with activator (automation of mail pieces, email, and work flow)

R

There is no comparison to be made.

ACTIVATOR! by Mastermind - 2 users (packaged)

Act with Activator costs how much??? $1,750??

And you want to compare this to Outlook 2010 with Business Contact Manager? BCM is practically free... and you want to compare it to a $1,750 piece of software.

Apples and Oranges.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Outlook BCM 2010 is pretty good software. It's great for the new agent just getting started and even through growth to use with an assistant. (It is networkable.)

After a while, you'll want an industry solution. I may look at PracticeBuilder CRM at that point, or even Advisors Assistant... depending on my needs and wants. Until then, Outlook BCM works for the basic needs of anyone in sales.

Last edited:
I use ACT and Activator. I can't believe that any free software will do what it does.
Who cares what it costs. As long as it makes you more than you paid for it?

Back