Participation Rates and Health Act

URDRWHO

Guru
100+ Post Club
The thing that has always been a crack in small companies entering group health plans is the participation requirements. Demographics come in to play. A small woodworking shop will most likely have a different census than an administrative office.

Many of the woodworking employees will most likely be on their wives plans. That dilutes the remaining people who will be participating in a group health plan. I do a lot of PC work in the construction industry and have seen the participation agreement to hinder many small contractors from offering a group plan. I have a current example: Thirteen employees: only five will be participating and in fact the two owners are on their wives plans and pay none to minimal premium toward such plans.

Every group carrier I know of want 50% participation and no waivers will be given in such small groups.

Just to get the business, we (at least I have) have seen there are agents that will be not exactly truthful with participation requirements. Such a move creates a big liability for the agent and possibly the company. When that big $$$ shock claim rolls in and the insurance company snoops around, if an audit is done and it is found that the group never would have been given a group plan....then the crap happens.

From the insurance company stand point I understand the adverse selection protection of the participation requirements. I've never been a fan and not sure if I believe 100% of their reasoning.

But I wonder what is going to happen once Obama Care starts requiring group insurance. I am guessing the insurance companies will drop the long standing participation agreements.

Which carriers aren't granted waivers for those insured under their spouse's plan? That's always a valid waiver here ...

Here in GA Aetna, Assurant, Coventry, BCBSGA offer VALID waivers. Aetna will even do a 1 person group, if there are 2 employees and 1 has a valid waiver.

These type of groups are a waste of time because the employer will not pay towards the premium. In my state you can not even sell a plan unless the company is paying 50% of the employee cost.

Just curious, what state is this in? In California, as far as I know every carrier waives spouse group coverage.
Of course, you need 75% participation as well, which can be tough, even with the waivers, in small group.

I'll admit, this is why I don't bother doing multiple states. It's hard enough to keep up with various carriers in one state, much less the small differences across states (large differences are easier to track).

Dan

Back