PC and LH...Can I Do Both?

Man, i would say this is a rarity.
Not too many people can do both (from what i've seen) AND finding a shop that will give you desk space.

My guess is that you are specializing in Auto,home with PC???
What kinda PC production do they expect from you?

Good work.

You are right. They are different worlds. I mainly focus on the Personal lines. What I've found is that most people I talk to are aware of the need for car insurance, but not life. I find it easier to make a sale when I can pivot as needed. Goal is to cross sell.

I don't really have a quota.
It's not too hard though. The way I see it most P&C folks only do small term life policies. It doesn't take too much brain power to actually recommend the right amount of life insurance.

----------

Gulfman, I agree. Two completely different types of animals - P&C clients and L/H clients. Even the commission structures are so very different.

P/C clients you can make residual income from (renewals etc), L/H policies - commissions are first years premium only.

It is legally possible, physically possible, but I agree hard to pull off successfully.

Just one correction. L&H commissions do pay residuals. First year might be 120% while the residuals might be 10% for 10 years and 2% from then on out. Of course it depends.

But the residuals definitely aren't as good as the P&C space. Which is why I think it's great to mix them. Life & Health allows you to survive while you build a solid residual income. Especially if you cross sell and take the business on both sides with each client.

And this might just be a pro for me. But in Michigan virtually everything is going to progressive anyways. So there isn't much use memorizing all of Safeco's underwriting guidelines. Progressive is even competitive on good risks..

You are right. They are different worlds. I mainly focus on the Personal lines. What I've found is that most people I talk to are aware of the need for car insurance, but not life. I find it easier to make a sale when I can pivot as needed. Goal is to cross sell.

I don't really have a quota.
It's not too hard though. The way I see it most P&C folks only do small term life policies. It doesn't take too much brain power to actually recommend the right amount of life insurance.

----------

Just one correction. L&H commissions do pay residuals. First year might be 120% while the residuals might be 10% for 10 years and 2% from then on out. Of course it depends.

But the residuals definitely aren't as good as the P&C space. Which is why I think it's great to mix them. Life & Health allows you to survive while you build a solid residual income. Especially if you cross sell and take the business on both sides with each client.

And this might just be a pro for me. But in Michigan virtually everything is going to progressive anyways. So there isn't much use memorizing all of Safeco's underwriting guidelines. Progressive is even competitive on good risks..

Just like the other thread...be careful putting all your eggs in one basket. There is a major shakeup going on in my area, auto carriers who aren't leaving are all taking 10%+ increases, tightening guidelines, turning down business they would take otherwise. My number one carrier is taking almost nothing right now. Sadly they also pay the best, so it is hurting a little.

Last edited:
Back