PCP visit claim denied

odeon778

I apologize if this is not the correct place for this question. My health insurance (Aetna HMO) denied my Primary Care Physician visit ($284). My doctor left the office I use to go to so I found a new PCP and made sure they were in network. I did not realize it needed to be updated through Aetna - I wrongly assumed I could just choose a new one as long as they were in network. When it comes down to it, it was my fault - but is it normal to deny a claim for this? Is there any hope of getting it covered?

It looks like this may have fit better under the Consumer Help Requests forum so please move if necessary\possible

It’s probably because you have an HMO and have to let the insurance company know that you want to switch. At least with Medicare Aetna hmo you do

I apologize if this is not the correct place for this question. My health insurance (Aetna HMO) denied my Primary Care Physician visit ($284). My doctor left the office I use to go to so I found a new PCP and made sure they were in network. I did not realize it needed to be updated through Aetna - I wrongly assumed I could just choose a new one as long as they were in network. When it comes down to it, it was my fault - but is it normal to deny a claim for this? Is there any hope of getting it covered?

Yes, you did not follow the HMO rules.

File an appeal, explain the situation, say 3 Hail Mary's and promise never to do this again.

With a bit of luck they will honor the claim.

Otherwise, consider this a small price for failing to follow directions. Could have been a larger claim.

Back