PEO Broker Looking for Producers

I'm currently with a PEO Brokerage which has over 30 years experience in the business of marketing and outside sales for multiple PEO's, nationwide. We specialize in hard to place industries like Roofing, Trucking, Construction, etc., and about 95% of our business has come from relationships we have with Independent Insurance Agents, who refer business to us.

I've been with the company for almost 3 years now, and I haven't had much luck cultivating relationships with Independent Insurance Agents, for some reason. Could be bad luck, or the fact that at my age (28 now), I still have a bit of the baby-face. Which kills my credibility on sight, when I've only had meetings with older (50yrs.+) Agents, usually the owner of the Agency. I still cold-call business owners (10-99 employees), and I've had some success there, but I feel like building a network of Agents is the best way to excel in this business. Agents usually have an earned trust and an influence in their communities, and a lot of times that speaks louder than lower rates. Also, most business owners I meet with do their payroll in-house, and would be less reluctant to outsource it if it's recommended by their Insurance Agent.

Now I'm not necessarily posting here to try to find Agents to partner with, although that would be ideal. If nothing else, I'd like to get an idea of the general consensus on PEO's, from and Insurance Agent perspective.

We offer Agents another option for their Clients and Prospects who may be facing challenges in the Worker's Comp. market. By pooling their employees with the thousands already on the PEO's payroll, they can take advantage of the economies of scale to lower their Work. Comp. premiums. We also offer Pay-Go WC, eliminating big down payments, and because the PEO administers the payroll, there are no year-end audits. Add to to that the administration of all Employee-related, non-revenue producing, back-office tasks and paperwork, and it really makes sense for small businesses.

We are paid commissions directly from the PEO, which we split with our Agents. These are usually higher than what Agents can get in the voluntary market, because we're paid a percentage of payroll, not premium. The commissions are residual, and paid monthly. It's really a win/win situation, when you can offer your Clients lower WC premiums, preserved cash-flow with Pay-Go WC, and a full service payroll / HR / Risk Management provider, while making better commissions for your Agency for as long as they are a Client. Not to mention it helps Agents retain their Clients when said Clients are also doing all internal administration through the PEO, so it keeps your competition at bay. (when all they can offer is lower rates, at best.)

We're a small broker, not a big PEO. We like to build personal relationships with all of our customers, and we like to meet all Insurance Agent-referrals in person whenever possible. We cultivate that relationship, eliminating this "PEO means no customer service!" mentality.

So my question is, what gives? Why is it so hard to find Agents that want to work with me?

(sorry for the wall of text) :embarrassed:

come on sti, with his cute baby face, lets give his a pass, this time.. wayne there is a offer section. and please read the rules for posting. sti is being nice. you are a polite spammer, so read the rules and we welcome you..

Most agents that have been around for awhile have been burned at one time or another by a PEO. At the very least they have watched dozens of PEO's crash and burn. They go out of business without paying payroll taxes, using incorrect WC class codes, etc. The in the PEO industry has a lot of slick characters. I know there are some great companies. I have worked with BBSI and had great results over a long period of time... but unfortunately I have also seen clients go into PEO's and run into major problems. One major PEO in my area (Mainstay Business Solutions) just shut their doors owning $16.4M to the EDD and they are trying to rely on soverign immunity as a defense/exemption because the group was run by an indian tribe.

Your age and appearance may work against you but the checkered past of PEO's is probably your biggest stumbling block with independent agents. We have options like Applied UW's and several payroll companies with pay as you go options... that can provide similar services without the employee leasing component. I am not against PEO's in general... but I am very, very picky about who I do business with. BBSI is the only PEO I am currently comfortable working with.

I appreciate the straight answer, Bert. No spam intended, just wanting to get an idea of how to approach this angle of the business.

Just browsing the forum has been quite interesting, I suppose reading the rules couldn't hurt. Thanks.

-Babyface Wayne

Last edited:
Doesn't all spammers have baby face or are they simply ignorant that noone takes them seriously

A PEO is a cookie cutter solution to what is most often individualized benefits issues.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to bring the most competitive solution to the table each and every time with a PEO.

One area that most PEOs fail miserably at is the 401k.
I have seen some with expenses as high as 4%! (pure greed)

Also, while the % of payroll is great for the agent/PEO, its not so much for the business, especially a white collar high salary business; the traditional "pay per head" payroll fee structure is much more cost effective for most white collar businesses.
I have taken a lot of business from PEOs after explaining this to owners and showing them the true NET costs.

I can do everything a PEO does, bring a better benefits package to the table, save $, and the client isnt locked into the PEOs specific products and service structure.

Bottom line is that its a cookie cutter solution, and we dont live in a cookie cutter world.

A PEO is a cookie cutter solution to what is most often individualized benefits issues.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to bring the most competitive solution to the table each and every time with a PEO.

One area that most PEOs fail miserably at is the 401k.
I have seen some with expenses as high as 4%! (pure greed)

Also, while the % of payroll is great for the agent/PEO, its not so much for the business, especially a white collar high salary business; the traditional "pay per head" payroll fee structure is much more cost effective for most white collar businesses.
I have taken a lot of business from PEOs after explaining this to owners and showing them the true NET costs.

I can do everything a PEO does, bring a better benefits package to the table, save $, and the client isnt locked into the PEOs specific products and service structure.

Bottom line is that its a cookie cutter solution, and we dont live in a cookie cutter world.

All very valid points, and you'll get no competition from a PEO in the white collar market. Our bread and butter is Work. Comp., in blue collar industries. Most Independent Agents we work with use us as a last resort for those hairy accounts. (high exp. mod., big claims, etc.) Most of my prospecting is in Illinois, where the rates for businesses like Roofing and Trucking are pretty astounding. Once we get approval from UW, the savings on WC greatly outweighs any Admin. fees from the PEO. (or no deal) WC savings is our foot in the door...

The real value comes in with everything else a PEO does for small businesses. Outsourcing time-consuming tasks like Payroll, HR, Safety and Risk Management....all things that don't contribute the the company's bottom line. And yes, the fee is more than if they just outsourced their payroll to ADP or Paychex, but because the PEO does so much more.

I appreciate being able to have this discussion in a setting like this. Really helps me see the issues that Agents have with PEOs. (and baby-faced ignorant spammers)

Last edited:
Back