Phone Company VOIP or Cable Company VOIP for Reliability.

We use onsip for our VOIP solution. We've got lots of folks on the phone and for us the single best feature is their API which allows us to use click to call so we dont have to type in the number.

I think we're spending around $.03 per minute plus some overhead

We use onsip for our VOIP solution. We've got lots of folks on the phone and for us the single best feature is their API which allows us to use click to call so we dont have to type in the number.

I think we're spending around $.03 per minute plus some overhead

Ouch!!!!
Anything over $0.015 seems a bit steep to me. I guess it doesn't matter if you aren't on the phone for over 1000 minutes a month.

Dan

Ouch!!!!
Anything over $0.015 seems a bit steep to me. I guess it doesn't matter if you aren't on the phone for over 1000 minutes a month.

Dan

As a company, we're on the phone quite a bit more than 1k minutes but OnSIP offers some of the reliability we need and the API to allow us to hook our custom CRM up to our phones. The convenience of never dialing a phone number and reliability is why we spend the premium. Our previous provider left us with spotty call quality in the past.

Yeah we spend some serious bucks on our phone bill every month but we're at this point a bit tied in to shop around - maybe we'll look again though.

excuse my ignorance on this but would this be more reliable as far as getting my calls forwarded to my cell phone vs using the local cable company VOIP system?

If all you want is calls forwarded, just add an extra cell phone to your cell phone contract. That's usually $10 monthly. Port your home number over to it and cancel the home phone. Forward the calls from the cell and then throw that phone in a drawer and forget it.

I did that 4-years ago to have local numbers in Indiana and Kentucky. I don't even know where that free phone is. I just pay $10 monthly to have ALL my calls from both numbers go to one cell phone.

Works perfect.

If all you want is calls forwarded, just add an extra cell phone to your cell phone contract. That's usually $10 monthly. Port your home number over to it and cancel the home phone. Forward the calls from the cell and then throw that phone in a drawer and forget it.

I did that 4-years ago to have local numbers in Indiana and Kentucky. I don't even know where that free phone is. I just pay $10 monthly to have ALL my calls from both numbers go to one cell phone.

Works perfect.

Brilliant! I believe that is the solution for my situation,I wasn't even aware that you could port a land line number to a cell..

Brilliant! I believe that is the solution for my situation,I wasn't even aware that you could port a land line number to a cell..

I assume you can port any number anywhere. But both of my cell numbers started out as cell numbers so you will need to find out.

I assume you can port any number anywhere. But both of my cell numbers started out as cell numbers so you will need to find out.
You can't. When I tried to port a number from AT&T to Time-Warner the number couldn't be ported because of 911 emergency node blah blah blah. Another time I tried to port a MyFax number to RingCentral (fax service only) and MyFax wouldn't release the number.

True enough, not all carriers participate in number porting. Most do, but not all.

Google has the weirdest thing, you can only port in cell phone numbers, not landline numbers. Can't figure out why they do that, but hey, its their rules.

Dan

For anyone looking into this same issue, use Google's porting feature. You pay a one time fee of like $10 and forward the number somewhere else. No monthly plans. No extra cellphone. No VOIP. I've done this to 3 old business numbers already with 100% success. One time fee, people. Do the math.

I've been using Ooma for about 3 years and it's been great. You buy the phone system (199) and that's all you pay--although I think you now have to pay a few dollars for taxes (I don't because old customers are grandfathered into no fees). You can pay 9.99/mo for premier features like multi-ring to ring on your Ooma phone and cell phone at the same time and call-blocking, etc. You can port your number (free with the premier). I have never had a problem porting a landline, fax number, or toll-free number. Sometimes you do have to go over someone's head. ooma.com--or buy it at Best Buy or Amazon. I would go nuts talking on a cellphone all day.

Back