Phone Company VOIP or Cable Company VOIP for Reliability.

I researched VoIP for my wife's office. It was recommended we install a T1 and have the bandwidth the same in both directions. Most internet bandwidth is optimized (allocated) for download speed. VoIP needs upload bandwidth to be the same as download.

We could not afford the price for a T1 so we selected DSL for internet access and do not use VoIP. We have a couple of phone lines. This is cheaper and more reliable.

As she get's more revenue we will have to readdress the internet and phone systems.

I hope this helps.

The idea that upstream and downstream bandwidth needs to be the "same" for voip is wildly wrong.

1x1 up and down connection is enough to support 10 lines.

5x100 cable can support 25 users dialing 3 lines at once.

The upstream does matter in terms of how many calls you can have at once, but you control the allocation with a router, they have QoS settings that let you reserve portions of bandwidth for phone use.

Whoever told you that you "need" a T1 for voip use is wrong.

The best thing for voip, really, is a fiber connection, like offered by verizon fios, but depending on capacity requirements even a dsl line will work.

You can't. When I tried to port a number from AT&T to Time-Warner the number couldn't be ported because of 911 emergency node blah blah blah. Another time I tried to port a MyFax number to RingCentral (fax service only) and MyFax wouldn't release the number.

I found a way to " rescue " my long time ATT landline that I was paying 80.00 a month for only to have my long time business number forwarded to my cell phone. ATT wont let you port a landline directly to Google Voice or to another cell provider but will allow you to port it to an ATT wireless account. I will port my ATT landline to the ATT prepaid Gophone for a month then port it to Google Voice and then when my number is parked at Google Voice there will be no monthly fee to have my calls forwarded. I found a good article that takes you step by step through the process Google Voice: a step-by-step primer on ditching your land line while keeping your number | ZDNet

for VOIP when they say 500 mins, how is this calculated if you forward the call to your cellphone? 1 min per forward?

Depends.
The forward is usually 1 minute per minute the call is forwarded, rounded however your plan rounds calls.

But, they might be charging for 2 legs, both the inbound and outbound part of the call, which can add up pretty quickly.

If you are going to forward to your cell phone a lot, you want an unlimited plan for this. Or don't do much business and then it won't matter :)

Dan

Why buy a per minute VOIP plan? Just get the unlimited one. Just one month of overages and you'll be kicking yourself.

Ive been using the skype VOIP...$60 for the phone #, $40 for adapter and $2.99 a month for unlimited calling us, canada, pr , hawaii.... works great!!!! Never pay cable for your phone line!

Back