Prelicensing Certification Frustrations

southpaw211

My employer requested that I obtain my life & health licenses and set me up with online training via ExamFX. It's not a great program, at least it wasn't for me. But I'm stuck with it, and my usage expires on 1/21.

I have been taking the simulated exams and doing well on them for the last several weeks. Earlier in the week, I scheduled my precertification exam for this morning. The following day, I scheduled my state exam. My choices were yesterday or two weeks from now. Since my program is ending (and any access to the materials), I bit the bullet and took the state exam yesterday. I got an 82. Phew!

Fast forward to this morning: I took the Exam FX certification test 3 times in a row and failed it every time. By a point. A lot of the material on it was not what I have been seeing on my simulated exams nor what I had on the state exam. Now my online content expires in a week and I've got one more shot to take the certification exam before that happens (rescheduled for next week).

I guess I've let it psyche me out quite a bit today. Now I'm scared to death I'm going to fail it again next week. If the program expires, do I have any alternatives to the prelicensing certification? I'm wondering if I will actually have to pay for the program all over again. It drives me nuts that I can pass the *real* exam in about 75 minutes but I can't pass the stupid ExamFX class exam.

Ugh!

I failed the test the 1st time I took it. It happens to some of us.

Borrow the Exam book from another agent and study from it.

The instructor told me dont' memorize the practice test, you WILLL NOT pass that way... First time, I studied the book for several days and did not pass. Second time, I memorized the practice test only and scored a 96..

Call ExamFX and ask them if they allow extensions.. Your probably getting caught up on the wording of the questions. You have to read the questions word for word. Sometimes you may not know the answer but you may see other answers are out to lunch and brings the odds closer to your favor..

How did you take the state exam before the prelicensing exam? They allow that? One point is just a few question.. Calm down and read the questions and you'll do fine... I know of a person who took a state exam 7 times and now earns a very good income.

I used the america's professor, to help me pass the FX, pre-test. Check them out. He is a professor from montana university. If he is not certified in your state get the national test. He takes a boring subject, and keeps your attention

Last edited:
Believe it or not, I got Exam Cram for Life and Health and found it VERY helpful.

Should be able to get it on Amazon for 20 bucks. New they are around 50 bucks.

I found that the practice exams are more for familiarity with terms and concepts than just trying to "pass an exam." This said, I know that most states require you to pass the pre-licensing but any help is good help if used in the right way.

The best advice for anyone that is preparing for their state insurance license exam, is to not just study the material, but to study it a certain way.
All tests are designed to just trip you up. You may feel confident with the information and then get to the test and bomb it. If you spend too much time doing the end of chapter quizzes and are making great grades, that will give you a false sense of security. The real test comes when you simulate your whole exam and spread the subject matter out over the whole test. If you truly want to learn test taking skills, I am always happy to offer my time to help you out, even if you haven't purchased a course from me.

What I always do is take down notes as the course player goes on. Yeah, people could go back check their courses but most of the time taking down notes helps me understand and memorize all the information I need to pass and finish the course.

Back