Price Gauging

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't mechanics do the same? I thought they were able to hold the vehicle and put a lein on it if the bill is unpaid?

Now, I believe towing is somewhat regulated so he might not be able to charge that much, but he could probably charge you $200+ in some areas.

But a mechanic is required to tell you what it will cost before the repairs start. When was the last time a doctor told you what the bill will be before they started?

But a mechanic is required to tell you what it will cost before the repairs start. When was the last time a doctor told you what the bill will be before they started?

Good point. Not to give doctor's or hospitals a pass, but a lot of that is our fault. When was the last time you took your car to the shop and didn't ask how much it would cost? When was the last time you visited the doctor or hospital and did ask how much it would cost?

Most have become so use to the fat co pay plans, myself included, costs were irrelevant. However, since going to a HDHP, I ask for costs. The problem regarding my wife's boot was I asked the price, was tols it would probably be discounted to 150, she was in the car I was at the desk settling up and it came back 275. Didn't really realize what you could buy one for until later, couldn't do much.

Most have become so use to the fat co pay plans, myself included, costs were irrelevant. However, since going to a HDHP, I ask for costs. The problem regarding my wife's boot was I asked the price, was tols it would probably be discounted to 150, she was in the car I was at the desk settling up and it came back 275. Didn't really realize what you could buy one for until later, couldn't do much.

And you would be the exception. I know I generally don't ask, because I have a co-pay/deductible plan. About the only thing I ask on is prescriptions. Everything else has been covered by the co-pay.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't mechanics do the same? I thought they were able to hold the vehicle and put a lein on it if the bill is unpaid?

Now, I believe towing is somewhat regulated so he might not be able to charge that much, but he could probably charge you $200+ in some areas.

I think this might go by your state but in MD, no. Their labor rates have to be posted and they cannot exceed the quoted price by more than 10% without authorization.

So if I'm quoted $300, I can't arrive to pick it up and get slammed with a $2,500 bill.

Another example would be moving companies. The ones running price scams may simply have you sign a pricing sheet outlines what their charges are for boxes, tape, etc...

So, tape, box and wrap everything up, get it in the truck and show up at the next location. Ahhh...but it doesn't come off the truck until you pay "$2,650." You go mental and that's when they show that they used 60 rolls of tape, 120 boxes, etc....That's why you see that they wrapped your tv in 4 boxes, 10 yards of bubble wrap and used 3 rolls of tape.

Don't pay? Fine. They drive the truck away - with your cr*p in it - to their storage facility until you cough up the dough.

I was wise to this con and the last time I hired movers I put in a "price to not exceed without consent" paragraph.

Last edited:
I think this might go by your state but in MD, no. Their labor rates have to be posted and they cannot exceed the quoted price by more than 10% without authorization.

So if I'm quoted $300, I can't arrive to pick it up and get slammed with a $2,500 bill.

The difference in these situations is that you got shown prices up front. Most doctors and hospitals don't do that. Also, we'd run into tons of situations where something might arrise in an emergency and require a split second decision, such that the doctor couldn't give notice about the cost rising.

That would be my entire point. You take your car into the shop - even for an emergency and everything is transparent. Labor rates are posted and if it involves parts they can pull up those prices.

The ER is "here's your $1,600 bill. Pay it or go to collections" with zero transparency. I think that should be illegal and unenforceable for them to collect.

Last edited:
I agree.

Its a fundamental flaw in the system that we have today. You can rack up thousands of dollars worth of debt, with no knowledge or consent needed.

I had an ER visit in June for a finger that I nearly cut off at the tip. Nothing really major, would have probably glued itself back together if I had been patient enough.

Anyway, 4 stitches later, and six weeks later here is my bill $1200 for 15 minutes of 'medical care'.

Why couldn't they pull up the fees etc and tell me this is what it is going to cost to put the stitches in AND then say 'Do you want to continue?'

How many people would say, 'no thanks, I will try and see if it heals without the stitches'.....

It seems to me that hospitals can legally hold you to ransom, and that is what should be illegal and unenforceable.

I agree.

I had an ER visit in June for a finger that I nearly cut off at the tip. Nothing really major, would have probably glued itself back together if I had been patient enough.

Anyway, 4 stitches later, and six weeks later here is my bill $1200 for 15 minutes of 'medical care'.

Why couldn't they pull up the fees etc and tell me this is what it is going to cost to put the stitches in AND then say 'Do you want to continue?'

Comche, did your experience as a health insurance agent alert you to the fact that any Emergency Room visit is expensive? I've heard enough "horror" stories from clients to know that just walking into E.R. cost a bundle. In fact, one hospital here in town has a sign standing right inside the E.R. doors stating that the minimum charge will be $850.
-AC

Comche, did your experience as a health insurance agent alert you to the fact that any Emergency Room visit is expensive? I've heard enough "horror" stories from clients to know that just walking into E.R. cost a bundle. In fact, one hospital here in town has a sign standing right inside the E.R. doors stating that the minimum charge will be $850.
-AC

Not sure about other hospitals, but the one here charges you about $900 as soon as you sign in, whether you leave before seeing a doctor or not.

Back