Private Message Harrassment

?...As usual, we will use our secret algorithm of arbitrary capriciousness in determining what meets the standards of harassment.

I just love those defined standards. :biggrin:

Fortunately, I only received harassing pm from one party and they are long ago banded. For the most part this is a group of good guys. Notice I said for the most part.

Last edited:
Getting private messages saying "**** you" twice from the same person means I should just block them? The person should have been banned.

Rick

Apparently sending multiple profanity laced PMs to multiple people doesnt even get you a slap on the wrist anymore. Or multiple personal attacks over and over.
Im pretty sure that 3 or 4 years ago the person would have been banned, or at least suspended for a week from posting.

Hell, you saw how the "personal insults will result in suspensions or bans" quickly fizzled out...

Then there was the "zero tolerance to fighting" if I remember correctly the exact words were: "If someone has been warned and they violate it, they will be banned, simple as that."
Well that lasted for maybe a month or two, if that long.

Then there was the "no vulgarity"... which the forum software now censors vulgar words...

But when someone breaks all 3 of those directives, multiple times, and does so privately in a harassing way... then nothing happens other than one more verbal warning that adds to all of the other verbal warnings.

So far, "cleaning up the forum" has been all talk in my opinion. It is just as bad today as it ever was. You report a post for a personal attack and it gets deleted, but the "we will suspend or ban members for personal attacks" has long been forgotten.

Last edited:
Like others here, I'm on a number of public chat-boards that are directed toward personal financial affairs as well as securities, and finance industry topics.

This board is by far the most tolerant of all of them in that it gives subscribers a huge degree of "freedom of expression" when it comes to personal attacks, vulgarity, and occasional homophobia and misogyny.

What is interesting is that most of the personal attacks and insults emanate from only about a dozen subscribers, all of them on this board for many years. One of them is actually a "legend" to others when it comes to (his/her... don't want to implicate anyone) anger and intolerance of content contrary to their opinion. He/she is revered for their bad 'tude.'

Many boards have an 'off-topic' section which is not open to the public (i.e. subscribers only) where the moderators hope to contain the non-civil demographic of the subscriber population. Things can get pretty ugly in those sections, but since they require a log-in, the public is not privy to any of it. This board has a couple of private sections for those who have a high-post count, so maybe that's where some of the more heated discussions end up.

Most boards are a reflection on the political and social values of the owner (i.e. the Top Gun board) and I'm sure this board is no exception. I assume that the owner here believes that low or no moderation helps to keep the board 'lively' which helps attract viewers which obviously helps sell advertising space.

It's like NASCAR. Most of the people come for the race, but if there are a few good crashes, so much the better. The more eyeballs, the more revenue the site can make from advertising.

Insurance agents (like the Republicans these days) tend to be politically and socially conservative or ultra-conservative. And conservatives (and Republicans!) just love to fight with each other (at least when there are no moderates or liberals around to go after.)

While this board does not have as high a signal to noise ratio as other boards, it gets a lot more traffic, perhaps because of the lack of strict moderation. I assume that the day that falling advertising dollars are attributed to 'bad behavior' is the day when more stringent moderation will be applied.

Follow the money.

"... for they say, if money go before, all ways do lie open."
-Shakespeare The Merry Wives of Windsor Act 2, scene 2

Apparently sending multiple profanity laced PMs to multiple people doesnt even get you a slap on the wrist anymore. Or multiple personal attacks over and over.
Im pretty sure that 3 or 4 years ago the person would have been banned, or at least suspended for a week from posting.

Hell, you saw how the "personal insults will result in suspensions or bans" quickly fizzled out...

Then there was the "zero tolerance to fighting" if I remember correctly the exact words were: "If someone has been warned and they violate it, they will be banned, simple as that."
Well that lasted for maybe a month or two, if that long.

Then there was the "no vulgarity"... which the forum software now censors vulgar words...

But when someone breaks all 3 of those directives, multiple times, and does so privately in a harassing way... then nothing happens other than one more verbal warning that adds to all of the other verbal warnings.

So far, "cleaning up the forum" has been all talk in my opinion. It is just as bad today as it ever was. You report a post for a personal attack and it gets deleted, but the "we will suspend or ban members for personal attacks" has long been forgotten.

Well, I can tell you first hand that Sam will ban. After several warnings for vulgarity and fighting...then multiple accounts I was banned for 3 1/2 months. I never did harassing PM's, I preferred to do it out in the open.

Sam wants to give us some freedom, but not too much. It's hard to find a happy medium....you can't please everybody.

Back