Progressive claim

Alex, lets start with the basics...

1. Do you have any verifiable evidence that you notified the agent to add the coverage prior to the accident? I'm talking about time stamped email, recorded call, or did you get ANY verification from the agent that they had received your request. What I can say about the Dec page I saw is that it is dated the 25th (After the accident). Do you have one dated, showing the coverage was actually IN FORCE when the accident happened?

2. The backdating is available in situations when there is an administrative error on the agencies part sometimes if documented proof showing the insured DID in fact request coverage sooner the system will allow a few days or in cases where there is newly acquired property (like Jack said).

3. If the coverage is in place AT the time of the accident, I have zero doubt that Progressive would happily pay the claim.

If you have something that shows WHEN you notified the agency you wanted them to make the change, you may have ground to stand on. Declaration pages are reflective of a snapshot in time, so one dated the 25th, doesn't necessarily reflect what was in place on the 18th or 22nd.

Alex, lets start with the basics...

1. Do you have any verifiable evidence that you notified the agent to add the coverage prior to the accident? I'm talking about time stamped email, recorded call, or did you get ANY verification from the agent that they had received your request. What I can say about the Dec page I saw is that it is dated the 25th (After the accident). Do you have one dated, showing the coverage was actually IN FORCE when the accident happened?

2. The backdating is available in situations when there is an administrative error on the agencies part sometimes if documented proof showing the insured DID in fact request coverage sooner the system will allow a few days or in cases where there is newly acquired property (like Jack said).

3. If the coverage is in place AT the time of the accident, I have zero doubt that Progressive would happily pay the claim.

If you have something that shows WHEN you notified the agency you wanted them to make the change, you may have ground to stand on. Declaration pages are reflective of a snapshot in time, so one dated the 25th, doesn't necessarily reflect what was in place on the 18th or 22nd.

Yes, we have proof that we notified agent.
But regardless of this - why they charged us for these changes from May 18, but not May 25? Does not the principle imply - you pay you have coverage?

Would need to see the Dec pages effective on the 18th prior to change. This I can absolutely assure you, that whatever period was covered you paid. Additionally I rarely over many years see the carrier system show the wrong billing... usually billing problems are the fault of the producer, the customer service personnel and the insurers misunderstanding.

With the scrutiny the carriers are under by the Division of Insurance, Progressive wouldn't be around for long authorities like that. I would contact progressive and ask for a copy of each policy change Dec page. That way it would be easy to see about the billing.

Would need to see the Dec pages effective on the 18th prior to change. This I can absolutely assure you, that whatever period was covered you paid. Additionally I rarely over many years see the carrier system show the wrong billing... usually billing problems are the fault of the producer, the customer service personnel and the insurers misunderstanding.

With the scrutiny the carriers are under by the Division of Insurance, Progressive wouldn't be around for long authorities like that. I would contact progressive and ask for a copy of each policy change Dec page. That way it would be easy to see about the billing.

They already confirmed that charged us and calculated that truck from May 18, effective date.

This isn't complicated, lets stop making it complicated.

You bought the vehicle, then asked the agent to add it to the policy, probably later then the day you bought it (pretty normal). Agents usually can backdate a new purchase to the date you bought it, as long as its done in a timely manner.

Now, when you called the agent to add the vehicle, was it before or after the accident? My guess is after and this is the source of the problem. If so, did you advise the agent at the time that there was a loss on the vehicle?

Did you buy the car new? Do you have a bill of sale for the 18th?

Did your current policy include comp/collision coverage on the vehicles you already have? I'm guessing not, but I have no way to know for sure.

Progressive is saying more then the agent backdated the policy as a reason to delay or deny coverage. If you want help, you'll need to be more specific on what they are saying, otherwise, there are not enough facts here to give much advice.

This isn't complicated, lets stop making it complicated.

You bought the vehicle, then asked the agent to add it to the policy, probably later then the day you bought it (pretty normal). Agents usually can backdate a new purchase to the date you bought it, as long as its done in a timely manner.

Now, when you called the agent to add the vehicle, was it before or after the accident? My guess is after and this is the source of the problem. If so, did you advise the agent at the time that there was a loss on the vehicle?

Did you buy the car new? Do you have a bill of sale for the 18th?

Did your current policy include comp/collision coverage on the vehicles you already have? I'm guessing not, but I have no way to know for sure.

Progressive is saying more then the agent backdated the policy as a reason to delay or deny coverage. If you want help, you'll need to be more specific on what they are saying, otherwise, there are not enough facts here to give much advice.

You can see my previous posts - we requested it before accident 2 times. It was sadly
coincidence that vehicle had an accident on 5th day after start operations. I think agent simply forgot to add that vehicle in time. She explained to Progressive that it was some errors in their system, then she didn't work 1 day and bla-bla-bla..., and she didn't add that vehicle in time.

But now agent change her mind and tell that we didn't request to add vehicle before accident. We already have letter from Progressive and they wrote all these things about her first explanation. I think they all do not want to take responsibility now.

Assuming this is true, contact an attorney and the Division of Insurance. If there is anything at all that you are even slightly deviating from what can be documented and proven, you'll probably eat it. There is and old saying... "if it's not documented, it didn't happen"

I have been told that Progressive has extremely sophisticated software to track everything that happens on their website. There should be a record of the agent trying to add the vehicle. Also, there should be a record of you contacting the agent, even if it is just a phone log. Finally, the agent should have notes that correspond with those calls. Between those two, it should very quickly become apparent who is being less than truthful. Of course, this will almost certainly involve attorneys.

I need to clarify about their declarations pages. if do not pay attention to other things, declarations pages clearly stated effective date of coverage, what kind of coverage has insured. This is also stated in their contract. There are not any word about who and when make changes to policy. Can that declarations pages confirms our coverage?

Back