Putting Kids on Insurance or Not

redrose

I live in Texas and currently have Geico. My question is, if my policy covers anyone that drives my vehicle, why should I add my child as a driver on the policy? The reason I ask is because my SIL refused to add her stepson to her policy since her policy covers anyone who drives her vehicle. Could I take my daughter off to lower my premiums?

Policies do not automatically cover others that have reasonable access to your vehicle. So if someone lives in your house, they are either added to the policy or not covered.

But "good try."

Rick

You run the risk of having your claim denied. Not a good idea, and definitely not worth the $$$ you will save, by trying to "cheat" the system. Do things the right way and you won't have consequences to your actions (I.E. having a claim denied). Keep in mind trying to be sneaky, etc. about your policy is not teaching your kids a good lesson either.

Thank you for the replies. I have no plans to take my daughter off the policy. I just thought my SIL's idea wasn't kosher and wanted to check it out with someone who knew.

Yes, it's agreed. Your SIL is an ***. She needs to read her policy and definitions.

But you know what, depending on how I felt about my SIL, I might just sit back and watch.

Yeah, your SIL is kosher until her stepson gets into an accident and she receives a Denial Letter in the mail.

Its based on Texas law and up to the commissioner rules at that time. I believe its the same in Texas as Colorado, and by law you must disclose all household drivers. At that point you either must include or exclude all people living in the household, including family members and even room mates. If you lie to you insurance company, and say she no longer lives in the household, they could completely deny a claim in the future. Also you could possibly get in trouble for insurance fraud, because you knowingly lied to the insurance company.

I disagree. The PAP states that an insured is anyone that is a resident of your household. So if your daughter goes out and cracks up a car or two in an accident, she is covered regardless of whether she is a listed driver or not as she is a resident of the household. However, as an agent, if you pull this on your carrier, kiss your contract goodbye and find another market to roll you business too. Depending on the size of your book, that could be a lot of work.

Most policies specifically say that you must disclose all household residents 15 years of age and older and anyone who is a regular operator of the car. At least for the 15 companies that I do business with in MD VA and DE that is the case.

Agree SIL is not making a wise move.

Back