Pyramid Life, Pennsylvania Life, John Hancock

I received a 73 pg medicare compliance training manual for Pyramid.

Under marketing conduct, you need to read the various paragraphs. They state during your visit (that would be in person, right) you need to do the following and a list follows, like disclose your name, company you're representing, product you're selling, and the purpose. (duh)

no pressure tactics, etc...then on pg 50..."Only the agent who enrolls the Medicare beneficiary may sign...if not present, name may not be signed.: (mine short version). Instill said the same thing.

Alright, enough of the ping-pong. Read your own material and go forward...

On page 56 of that manual (under Agent prohibited activities), it states that we can't require a face to face appointment to provide Medicare Advantage plan information.

No, it doesn't say anything about enrollment material, just Medicare Advantage plan information. But there is no way I'm going to mail out a packet AND go see the people. If the guvment requires that we see people face to face, I guess I'm out of the MA business for the most part.

As for the agent name not being signed, that's no different than the present system. I've enrolled people online and not signed anything. Just as long as I'm able to get credit for it (i.e. - list agent name and number).

I see nowhere that states we are "required" to take an application face to face. I really hope that's not the case. I'm going to send an email to a marketing rep at Universal American. Hopefully she can clear it up once and for all.

How are you getting seniors to buy MA plans over the phone? That requires some skill there. Shoot I had some problems face to face when explaining benefits and convincing them it was really insurance.

Sman: did you ever get a clarification on writing apps? In person only or phone enrollment allowed.

SAI: I don't think MA's are to be called insurance....they are PLANS....they never use that word in any brochure, literature I have seen.

And I did ask at one mtg to the co rep and he agreed. So if you can get clarification on that one, we can all be kosher.

The great thing about working the MA and PDP market is that we have an opportunity to gain a new sell if there is a better product for their situation. At 1300 MA enrollments, if the commish stays at $330, she stands to make some serious dough come November 15th. I would call everyone of them and explain that I was sending out enrollment kits for the plan that best fits their situation. And then I think I would hire a couple of assistants to do nothing but put together packets to mail to these people.

The recruiter that John and I met at the Bravo seminar for Dual Eligible products suggested this same tactic and I thought that was the most pathetic and lazy way of running a business that I had ever heard of in this industry.
Now you did say "if there is a better product for their situation" so I think what you are suggesting is okay. But, their are a lot of agents who will be switching them whenever they can just to make a new $330 commission...to put it nicely we call those agents "commissions harlots".

The recruiter that John and I met at the Bravo seminar for Dual Eligible products suggested this same tactic and I thought that was the most pathetic and lazy way of running a business that I had ever heard of in this industry.
Now you did say "if there is a better product for their situation" so I think what you are suggesting is okay. But, their are a lot of agents who will be switching them whenever they can just to make a new $330 commission...to put it nicely we call those agents "commissions harlots".

Kyle,

If I've learned anything over the last few years, it's that the MA plan premium and benefits this year aren't likely to be the same the next year. The first year they came out here in Georgia, Humana was pretty much it. The next year Humana wasn't quite as competitive and Secure Horizons was making a push. This past year, Today's Options has been one of the most complete plans. Who knows what happens next year. My point was, as you stated, if there is a better plan, then you simply move them to a better plan. If not, just collect your renewals.

But one thing is for sure, you better have a pretty good knowledge of ALL the plans available or you will lose those clients if there is something better (or even if they perceive it to be better). I plan to make contact with all my clients once I've had a chance to review the benefits of all the new changes. To be quite honest, I would prefer that they be able to stay on their existing plan. Less work for me. I'm willing to take the lower renewal in exchange for not having to do a new enrollment. Leaves more time to get new clients.

Turns out that high commis MA only pays that in certain parts of the country. I have seen commish offered @ $600 in Calif. What's up with that? Why are they so high?

Well, I don't think the website is the issue since he said she travels to several counties. I guess seminars are possible, but I don't know of anyone that can pay to have the seminar while only getting $125 per enrollment. And to be quite honest, it doesn't affect me one bit so I don't know why I even commented on it. If it is true, I'd love to do that for a couple of years and then take some time off.

I spoke with a few managers and agents with them last year. That company knocks doors in apt. complexes and elsewhere, leading with their supps and flipping to the MA if need arises, etc. I was told that door to door was always a primary method of marketing for them, going back to the days when their (Pennsylvania Life) main product was a DI plan. Compared to some others I've met, the folks who I met with from this company seemed ok, but if you ask me, this is a dubious way to market MA and that coupled with the very low commissions is what caused me to turn them down.

Back