Question About Appt Setting. Driving & Knocking vs. Phone Setups

Re: ??? About Appt Setting...Driving & Knockin' Vs. Phone Setups

50% cancellation rate within the 1st 90 days? That's either a gross lie or an ignorant statement.

I've written for LH for over 11 years straight and never saw those kind of figures. Yes, their rates are on the high side. But I've talked with numerous agents who wrote for cheaper premium co.'s and they had very poor persistency.

The agent affects the persistency much more than the premium. And rarely do people replace their FE policy with a cheaper premium. It does happen but not very often....as long as they liked their 1st agent.

Most inexperienced FE agents think they miss a sale because the prospect said "that's too expensive for us". The agent figures the premium kept them from making a sale. In reality the agent missed the sale because they had a poor warm-up, poor presentation, didn't seem believeable and sincere and trustworthy, didn't listen to the prospect very carefully, didn't paint mental pics, etc., etc.

What are your thoughts on the posted question, about methodologies?

What are your thoughts on the posted question, about methodologies?

You'll close more leads doing drive by's but it is time consuming. You'll close fewer, but do it in less time if you set appointments. (And about 1 out of 4 or 5 appointments will not be there even though you set the appointment by phone the previous evening.)

Do both methods for several weeks and decide which makes you the most PROFIT per hour worked. Don't forget to factor in lead costs and gas.

I've been selling FE over the phone, not even cranking the car up, for almost 5 years now. We use a digital recorder. This method makes the most profit per hour worked for me and quite a few others.

Some agents fail using tele-sales and some agents are successful....just like face 2 face sales.

Anybody come up with LH's rate for the 70 year old male non-smoker for $20,000 yet?

I know a 65 year old can buy $30,000 for slightly more than he was paying for $20,000 with LH. I replaced that one last month. Even his Lincoln Heritage agent had to agree that it was the right thing to do.

I spend most of my time on the phone. While it's a crap shoot, it's not a costly one like driving around. But then again I don't sell FE either.

UHL is not the best choice.

Oxford for one is $74.70 for that 59 year old smoker female.

RNA is $69.13 if you want to go with the more detailed underwriting.

Now what do you have for the 70 year old male non-smoker who wants $20,000? I have Oxford at $126.65

RNA is $94.05

Lincoln Heritage is every FE agent's most prefered company for their competitors to sell. It's all based on gimmicks and overpriced rates. Management takes a huge cut of the agent's commission and gives you .... hmmmmmm.... what do they do for their cut?

They provide exemplary support, and I thank you for your feedback, but that's not the reason for the post.

Last edited:

The support from LH is very good. You can call the Home Office on Sat. and they have people to answer agent questions. What other FE Co. does that?

The agent's Mgr. is the one who cuts into comm., not LH. Of course if your Mgr. gets a piece of your action they need to earn it with good training, work leads with you on occasion, a good lead program, etc., etc.

Some agents do not need the hand holding and can command higher contracts (subject to proof of production of course).

The best part with LH and Senior Life is that charge backs never deducted from your advance comm. That's strong for helping the agent.

The support from LH is very good. You can call the Home Office on Sat. and they have people to answer agent questions. What other FE Co. does that?

The agent's Mgr. is the one who cuts into comm., not LH. Of course if your Mgr. gets a piece of your action they need to earn it with good training, work leads with you on occasion, a good lead program, etc., etc.

Some agents do not need the hand holding and can command higher contracts (subject to proof of production of course).

The best part with LH and Senior Life is that charge backs never deducted from your advance comm. That's strong for helping the agent.

Agreed. Great support.

Agreed. Great support.

You will learn differently about that support over time. But, that is off your original question.

I only do FE leads. I sell a few med sups to my FE clients, but, FE is my business.

I used to get LH leads and, yes, the trainer insisted that I doorknock. I had always set my appointments before. I did a little doorknocking for them and had some success, but, my personal distaste for doorknocking was just too much for me to continue in that manner. I started calling those leads. The manager that insisted on my doorknocking said that, as long as I got business on the books, he didn't care if I didn't doorknock.

I'm with EFES now and I do a pretty fair amount of FE business. I call all the leads and set my appointments. I am usually in the field running appointments 2 days per week. I will try to do 6 to 8 appointments per day.

I will doorknock the ones that do not put a phone number on the card and a number cannot be found for them anywhere else. I still do a little business on those, but, I just hate showing up at someone's house without their permission. I don't want someone showing up at my house.

Having said that, I know of several EFES agents that do nothing but doorknock and they think we appointment setters are wasting time. Some of the doorknockers are top producers.

If I didn't have a personal distaste for doorknocking, I'm sure it would work well for me. Whatever gets you in front of the clients is what you need to do. If I couldn't make appointments, I would doorknock until I could find another line of work.

Agreed. Great support.

Here are my $.02

I would door-knock. I would do it in a very organized fashion.

I would also carry about 4 companies with me. Have their rate books and their applications. Know their rates (I use an excel file with the carriers rates in it).

For instance, a 57 Year old Female smoker will do better with Mutual of Omaha than Foresters or Assurity or LHLIC. In this case I'll sell Omaha's policy because it will be the best for the client out of the carriers that I have. Unless the policy is over $10,000. If it is over $10,000, I'll talk to the client about the difference in premium but the additional benefit of the critical illness member benefit with Foresters. I'll let her choose. If she chooses Omaha, then go to the app to see if she qualifies (a little more detailed underwriting). If she doesn't, then try the next lowest price.

In contrast, a 79 year old female smoker will do better with Foresters.

It's not that we are "selling on price." We are utilizing the ability that we have as independent agents to find them the best product for them. If they can qualify for the lowest price final expense product that you carry, then in my humble opinion that is the product that you should sell them.

It also helps with keeping your business on the books. Basically, I use it as a time to prove to my clients that I will find them the best possible policy that I can find for them based on their health. Some of the biggest referrals that I've gotten have been from people who are on LH's 15-Pay (folks in wheelchairs, or bedridden). They've been denied 3 times...they just wanted coverage and I was able to get it for them.

To address the original question one more time, I'm very comfortable door knocking. I enjoy it. It seems like you may not enjoy it? If so, then try appointment setting. The fact of the matter is that we can discuss different methods all day, but the agents who earn the most are the agents who provide the best service and are willing to put in the work, regardless of the method. For me, the highest income comes from door knocking.

You will learn differently about that support over time. But, that is off your original question.

I only do FE leads. I sell a few med sups to my FE clients, but, FE is my business.

I used to get LH leads and, yes, the trainer insisted that I doorknock. I had always set my appointments before. I did a little doorknocking for them and had some success, but, my personal distaste for doorknocking was just too much for me to continue in that manner. I started calling those leads. The manager that insisted on my doorknocking said that, as long as I got business on the books, he didn't care if I didn't doorknock.

I'm with EFES now and I do a pretty fair amount of FE business. I call all the leads and set my appointments. I am usually in the field running appointments 2 days per week. I will try to do 6 to 8 appointments per day.

I will doorknock the ones that do not put a phone number on the card and a number cannot be found for them anywhere else. I still do a little business on those, but, I just hate showing up at someone's house without their permission. I don't want someone showing up at my house.

Having said that, I know of several EFES agents that do nothing but doorknock and they think we appointment setters are wasting time. Some of the doorknockers are top producers.

If I didn't have a personal distaste for doorknocking, I'm sure it would work well for me. Whatever gets you in front of the clients is what you need to do. If I couldn't make appointments, I would doorknock until I could find another line of work.

Your candor is refreshing.........on all counts.

Call reluctance is not an issue. In fact, I am quite good on the phone and have never, ever had problems geting appts on the phone, whether in the mortgage biz or in LI.

I spent 4 hours on the road today, 2 on the phone and set 4 appts, none of them by door-knocking....of those 4 knocks, 1 wasnt home but returned my call and got set, 1 slammed the door in my face with an iquana on his shoulder (true story), 1 I got on the phone on the way out of town and set another appt, and yet another answered on the way home and set for next week.

For now, I'll door-knock on the locals, phone the out of towns.

Thanks to all.

Back