Question About Appt Setting. Driving & Knocking vs. Phone Setups

Re: ??? About Appt Setting...Driving & Knockin' Vs. Phone Setups

I have to agree, my clients keep their policies because I did a good job and met their need. Any time you sell on price it will turn around and bite you.

Right. You just keep telling yourself that while I replace your business. If you are giving your clients the best value for their dollar, the oly reason it's still on the books is because I, or someone like me, have not met them yet.

Re: Question About Appt Setting. Driving & Knocking vs. Phone Set

While it's not necessary to always find the absolutely lowest priced product, I don't understand how an agent can sleep when they don't try to find something at least reasonably prices.

This is what a good independent agent will do. Others can spin things to say that their plan costs $60 vs. the $50 from another so "it's only $10" making it competitive. The $10 is a 20% increase meaning the client could have purchased $12K instead of $10K.

Agents selling this stuff making it so much easier for good agents to stay in business. All good agents need do is ask "Do you mind paying less for the same thing?"

Rick

While it's not necessary to always find the absolutely lowest priced product, I don't understand how an agent can sleep when they don't try to find something at least reasonably prices.

This is what a good independent agent will do. Others can spin things to say that their plan costs $60 vs. the $50 from another so "it's only $10" making it competitive. The $10 is a 20% increase meaning the client could have purchased $12K instead of $10K.

Agents selling this stuff making it so much easier for good agents to stay in business. All good agents need do is ask "Do you mind paying less for the same thing?"

Rick

It builds trust, as well, to be able to look at a client and say, For the $10,000 final expense policy that you want, these 5 companies have these premiums. This is the lowest one out of all of the companies that I work with. Let's take a look at those health questions (pen in hand...filling out the app).

ddraughn - you aren't that good, and jd will earn business off of your soon-to-be-former clients.

Lincoln Heritage RULES!

Their policies are unreplaceable because they are the best with the MOST. All new agents should sell LH and you will be rolling in the dough.

Do NOT listen to JD or others. They are trying to lead you down the path of despair. No one can beat LH, NO ONE. People LOVE their telemarker agent with LH so much they WANT to pay higher premiums.

The Consumer Funeral Benefit is so good they can actually call funeral homes and PRICE SHOP the prices. No one could actually do this without their help. It could save your families over $10,000 on an $8,000 funeral. That is why they don't mind paying for $15,000 of insurance but only getting less.

Here me now and see me later. It has been written. It has been done.

Spam, spam spammity spam, blah, blah, blah,

Disclaimer: I do not work for or represent Lincoln Heritage. I am just a huge fan of theirs.

Each time I make a sale, during the warm down before I leave, I educate my new client that the next time they get "one of those cards" in the mail to just throw it away, no need to send it in. Just call me with any questions/needs/concerns/more ins./referrals, etc.

Each time I make a sale, during the warm down before I leave, I educate my new client that the next time they get "one of those cards" in the mail to just throw it away, no need to send it in. Just call me with any questions/needs/concerns/more ins./referrals, etc.

If you know that your client can save 10%, 20%, or more with another carrier, what do you as an independent agent do?

Do you simply ignore the fact that you can provide coverage at a much lower price or give them more coverage for the same price? Or are you not indpendent?

Rick

I almost always go with the lowest price carrier, unless there is potential of getting declined. In that case, I make sure they understand they are going to pay more to ensure they actually get coverage.

Back to the original question, I am a believer in knocking first and using the phone if they request it (or if they are far away). I know I am better in person than over the phone. You have to go with what you are good at.

That being said, even if face-to-face is more work and costs more than tele-sales, I believe you get another benefit through working face-to-face that can't be replicated by phone-only. That is cross-selling annuities.

I like to do complete fact-finds and ask a ton of questions. Can I do this over the phone? I haven't tried.

Here is an example from Thursday - I knocked on a t65 cold - got a sit right then and there. Turns out the husband is 72 still working and has great health coverage for family. Wife is turning 65 and didn't want to pay for Part B. No Med-Supp sale. Explained what questions to ask SS and moved on.

She has a old WL policy - went through it and it turns out I can't beat it with a new policy using the CV. But she wants more coverage so I showed her a GUL for double the death benefit for 30% increase in premium. Sold.

Now I was talking to the husband while she was getting her policy information for the replacement forms (how I hate NY replacement paperwork). Husband has pension questions and 401k concerns. I introduced him to the idea of Equity Indexed Annuities. He liked it and said "I'd consider putting a portion of $$ into one of those." So when I go back to sign the new life application (after the replacement paperwork in NY goes through), I'll have a detailed discussion about his retirement situation and maybe get an annuity sale.

This is how I and my colleagues make a living as insurance agents. Knocking is costly in time and sanity, but I feel I can accomplish much more by sitting down with people than I can over the phone. I don't think this process can be done effectively over the phone.

HOWEVER, I suppose if someone showed me how to get appointments over the phone and then I can show up and do my thing without having to knock, that would be great.

Bottom line - I guess it doesn't matter how you get in front of the client. Just get in front of them. If you can successfully cross-sell then you don't have to have as many clients. You can also make less commission on a FE policy to earn their trust and other business.

A couple of them must have forgot to throw the cards away.

Back