Question about short term auto insurance

I have a vehicle that I’ll be driving for about three or four months. I just want to put the most limited cheapest insurance on this vehicle so that I legally can’t be pulled over or ticketed.

What’s the cheapest, easiest way to accomplish this? I’ve seen advertisements for the alternative insurance where you place a bumper sticker on your car and it’s supposed to be really cheap. Is there any truth to those?

thanks everyone!

Thank you! I’ve never talked to GEICO (their commercials drive me nuts) but there is probably a reason they can afford so much advertising. I’ll give it a try.

Call Geico is the joke we use for "I want the cheapest coverage." Cheap is not quality and quality is not cheap.

What bumper stickers are you referring to?

Call Geico is the joke we use for "I want the cheapest coverage." Cheap is not quality and quality is not cheap.

What bumper stickers are you referring to?

Hah, jokes on me then… but that sounds spot on, I need cheap not quality.

I don’t know the name of the companies. I’ve just seen a few ads on YouTube videos, or reels, that say something along the lines of “ditch traditional car insurance, you may $xxx, place this sticker on your car and you no longer need to risk driving without insurance.”

with a quick google search these guys are saying “temporary auto insurance in just 3mins”
[EXTERNAL LINK] - Auto Insurance Quotes Online, Free & Fast | EverQuote

Cant say about the ad - dont know anything about it.

You may try Metromile if you do not plan on driving the vehicle much, they charge by the mile. Not sure if they are in your state though.

I said Geico, because they love advertising low prices for folks and a temporary insurance policy seems right up their alley - best of luck.

In my professional opinion, clients that only want cheap products and insurers that only advertise cheap products should all do business together.

Hah, jokes on me then… but that sounds spot on, I need cheap not quality.

I don’t know the name of the companies. I’ve just seen a few ads on YouTube videos, or reels, that say something along the lines of “ditch traditional car insurance, you may $xxx, place this sticker on your car and you no longer need to risk driving without insurance.”

with a quick google search these guys are saying “temporary auto insurance in just 3mins”
[EXTERNAL LINK] - Auto Insurance Quotes Online, Free & Fast | EverQuote

Explain why you need cheap insurance. Who owns the vehicle you'll be driving? Do you care about going bankrupt?

Explain why you need cheap insurance. Who owns the vehicle you'll be driving? Do you care about going bankrupt?

The vehicle is in my name, I am currently going through bankruptcy. Not proud of it, I attempted a business idea in 2017 and ended up destroying my credit plus I have about 100 K in debt relating to that venture.

I will be surrendering the vehicle in the next couple months, until then I would like limited coverage.

The vehicle is in my name, I am currently going through bankruptcy. Not proud of it, I attempted a business idea in 2017 and ended up destroying my credit plus I have about 100 K in debt relating to that venture.

I will be surrendering the vehicle in the next couple months, until then I would like limited coverage.

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. Is it chapter 7 or chapter 11? I don't know what kind of vehicle you have, but there are exemptions that allow you to keep some equity in the vehicle.

Your credit will make the price pretty expensive no matter where you go. @marindependent has a point in this scenario. I would try Geico, Progressive, Liberty. I've seen Progressive be the most forgiving to drivers with bad credit in my state.

I don't think any independent agent will write you. Too much of a risk for E&O, impacting their loss ratio and potential chargebacks.

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. Is it chapter 7 or chapter 11? I don't know what kind of vehicle you have, but there are exemptions that allow you to keep some equity in the vehicle.

Your credit will make the price pretty expensive no matter where you go. @marindependent has a point in this scenario. I would try Geico, Progressive, Liberty. I've seen Progressive be the most forgiving to drivers with bad credit in my state.

I don't think any independent agent will write you. Too much of a risk for E&O, impacting their loss ratio and potential chargebacks.

Okay, cool! Thanks kinda what I was thinking, but wasn’t too sure. It’s chapter 7, and it’s a 2017 Grand Caravan. I could keep it if I wanted to, or I can surrender it and get something I actually like so I’m going to surrender it.

I spent the past 6 years attempting to fix everything and it’s a hopeless cause, bankruptcy sounds a helluva lot more appealing to me. I’ll just be paying a bit extra on rates with everything I do until I get my credit back to a good score, but it’ll still be cheaper than repaying all of that negative debt I have.

Back