Quick Question

jmarkk1

Guru
100+ Post Club
Does anyone know average growth this past year on FIA's compared to market? In other words...have caps been considerably lower compared to money in market?

Does anyone know average growth this past year on FIA's compared to market? In other words...have caps been considerably lower compared to money in market?

Since the S&P is up 20%, any capped ANN p2p product has underperformed.

That being said, you're not actually trying to beat the market in an FIA, you're trying to reduce volatility and add safety. Positioning a FIA to keep pace or beat the market is a bad idea (not saying that you're doing that).

This would be a good question to ask when the market is down 20% as well...those who got capped out over the last year will have kept those gains.

I understand protection side of FIA...just trying to grasp what average gains are with FIA when market is up like it has been this year. I heard somewhere that you can expect to capture about 30% of market gains...and obviously none of the losses.

----------

What about comparing S&P growth to monthly pt to pt?

I was just looking at a new one that Allianz has that has around a 3% spread and then 100% participation with no cap. It's not based on the S&P but a composite index (I forget the name of the composite.)

The back tested illustration looks very good over the past 20-years and even better over the past 10. Sorry if that sounds vague. I don't remember the exact figures but there were a lot of years with double digits of interest 10-14% and very few with zeros.

Everyone that I've ever sold the Annexus to has always been real happy with the performance. That's another uncapped one with a spread but the participation rate on that one got pretty low for a while. They are all raising back up now.

I understand protection side of FIA...just trying to grasp what average gains are with FIA when market is up like it has been this year. I heard somewhere that you can expect to capture about 30% of market gains...and obviously none of the losses.

It really depends on the product and the crediting strategy that you've selected. Aviva has an uncapped strategy that was up 15% last time I checked. If you have a smooth annual return (rare), a monthly cap may look great.

There are too many options to make a blanket estimate like 30% of gains. After all, if you have a 6% cap and the market was up 6%, you caught 100% of the gain. If you have a 4% trigger and the market was up 1%, you returned 300%.

I position their return potential between traditional fixed and variable.

Sorry I don't have more concrete data handy. Maybe someone else has some industry stats for you.

Back