Rate my cold call script

I suggest hypnosis to deal with the rejection you will be facing. lol More power to you if you can make it work and not hate it or your career.

@Alexander Bailey you should understand that most of those who have replied have been there, done that, got the t-shirt and the hat. Everyone has a different approach to things . . . what works for me may not work for you and vice versa.

No one here wants you to fail and the advice (all of it to this point) is good and intended to make you THINK about how your pitch sounds to someone on the receiving end. We are not being critical of you personally . . . just trying to give you perspective so you don't make the same mistakes we did.

Somarco is giving good advice. I would urge you to reconsider cold calling on the phone. Peeps get loads of junk calls each day. You will be met with bad attitudes in most cases - that is if they even pick up the phone, which will be your biggest problem. This is a recipe made for frustration and early burnout. Work with a mentor. Spend your time looking for one. He ir she is out there. FYI- there is a reason there are few agents and carriers writing disability ins. these days. Carriers really don't want it. Underwriting is brutal. An ok substitute are critical illness plans. Remember you MUST GET PAID for your time and energy.

Last edited:
The purpose of the call (if you are going to prospect that way) is to pique your prospect's interest. Get him/her into the conversation by asking you questions and agreeing with what you say and then ask for a visit.

The longer you take to get to the visit question the more likely you are to lose the prospect.

Hi, this is Jack, I sell death insurance. Would you like to buy some?
"Death insurance?" (Interest piqued.)
Yes. When you die, we give your family a lot of money.
"Wait. Isn't that life insurance." (Participation.)
Sort of, but this is a lot cheaper.
"Cheaper? How so? (Now go for the close.)
Where do you live? I'll come right over and show you.

You might or might not have to close on some objections after that

My scenario is a little absurd, but the point is, you have to hook 'em with your first sentence or the best speech in the world isn't going to do it.

I don't know if you are digging it out on your own or getting very bad advice but if you want to succeed you really need to pair up with someone who can coach you.

That advice right there is why the forums are such a great place. @somarco is spot on.

My firm and I work with individuals and families like yourself on sales pitch management and insurance scripts, when was the last time you reviewed yours?
Unsure what this is/I don't remember/Got Coverage Recently/ Not interested:
"I understand, I encounter 3 concerns a lot from individuals and families
1. If I were disabled and unable to use my sales script how will my bills be paid?
2. If I were to unexpectedly loose my current sales script how would my family be taken care of?
3. Is there more affordable sales scripts than the one I already have?
Do any of these resonate with you?"

And that's how it may sound to those you are calling.

I remember when I came back to insurance in 2018. I thought that if I had the perfect script things would fall into place. I did the same rate my script.

Bob took about an hour out of his time, for free might I add, and that hour probably saved me from washing out again, namely after it switched my whole perspective of a gatherer vs a hunter. I don't use a script with anyone. I have a general outline when I just ask questions and then respond to what they say. Scripts really don't do great with conversations.

Hi, this is Jack, I sell death insurance. Would you like to buy some?
"Death insurance?" (Interest piqued.)
Yes. When you die, we give your family a lot of money.
"Wait. Isn't that life insurance." (Participation.)
Sort of, but this is a lot cheaper.
"Cheaper? How so? (Now go for the close.)
Where do you live? I'll come right over and show you.

This is probably the best script I've ever seen. The most interesting part is that none of this is a lie or even a stretch. People tend to overestimate how much life insurance will cost them (yes they'll always say "it's too much..") but with death insurance, you get to show them how much it actually costs.

Very clever.

I started my career cold calling on mortgage leads circa 1990.
I had a very simple goal....just get an appt.
I stated my name and said I work with new homeowners protecting their home from life's events. I work in your area Tuesdays and Thursdays do you have a few minutes to meet with me.
It's a numbers game make a lot of call get reject 95% of the time but that 5% could be rewarding.
Then I expanded my area and bought more lists and hired telemarketers.
They would say the same thing but only book a call back from me.
It worked very well for me, unfortunately many of the appts were at night.
Until I was able to break into a business market, it did give me a steady income
In today's world I don't think you can do this.

In today's world I don't think you can do this.

So many things that worked 30 . . . 20 . . . 10 . . . 5 years ago are not as effective today. The exception would be, understanding the buyers mindset.

People love to buy, but hate to be sold - Jeff Gitomer

You must engage people in dialogue before they will buy anything. Folks like to talk about themselves and don't give a damn about you or what you are selling. If they recognize they have a problem, and are looking for a solution, and you have the ability to help them out and (most importantly) they trust you . . . then you are in a good position to pick up a client.

Back