Recently Earned ChFC & CLU, Next Steps??

4InsBizHelp

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some direction regarding the process of getting appointed with Life Insurers and Health Ins carriers and do I have to be attached to an Agency/Firm in order to produce?

I've been a health insurance underwriter for a little over 6 years and would like to start selling individual life insurance and individual health plans to get started and once my experience grows, break into group coverage. My plan is to produce part-time as a way to earn extra income while still keeping my primary full-time job right now and later be able to work for myself full-time once I've built up a substantial book of business.

I've just applied for my GA L&H license and any advice on what my next move should be would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Getting a ChFC and a CLU without any real selling experience is not worth much in my humble opinion.

WOW, come a long way with no direction.

This isnt gonna end up good.

Congrats on earning you CLU and ChFc. I would stay out of the individual health market and try to get in the 50 and over market.
You may also want to get a series 6 if you get in that market so you have more options when you come across pension rollovers. Also you can order brochures from the college explaining what a CLU and ChFc are. Like the others have said very few people know what a CLU is, however in a competitive situation it shows you had the dedication and the smarts to earn it.

Last edited:
DUDE.....are you living in 2006 still.

Individual Health and Group Health is a disaster waiting to happen to you. I am in the processes of shutting down the largest small group agency in the country with UHC and Aetna because of Obama Care.

Read a trade magazine and stay current and get in the Life insurance market under a good MGA or Captive company.
:SLEEP::SLEEP::SLEEP::SLEEP:

Congrats on earning your letters, I think that you are off to a good start!

There are hundreds of organizations that work with independent agents, just look at the ads in industry magazines, do a google search, and ask around here and you can get a good list to start with.

Take your time time talking with marketing organizations until you find the people that you feel confident can help you reach your goals.

Learn how to prospect/fact-find/sell. The designations are nice, but I've worked with more than one agent who 1) was a great student - hence the many letters after their name; but 2) couldn't sell a steak in a famine. Learn to prospect and talk to people and everything else falls into place.

Back