Recertifying PFFS could mean staying married to FMO

It looks like the FMO thing is how carriers want to go these days... and we agents are like sheep and just seem to follow along... no matter how badly we get screwed.

Only some of us act like sheep. I was offered a very good contract with an FMO for med supps but they were not willing to give me an unconditional release upon my request. I did not sign with them.

When will associations that apparently represent the agents take a stand on this? Haven't heard diddly squat from the Nat'l Assn. of Health Agents.

Rick

Why would you get recertified before your release date if you do not plan on selling the product? That doesn't make any sense to me:goofy:

Senior,

With all the crazed on the fly CMS abrupt changes, it could come back (I'm not for sure though) to bite one where someone could say, "sorry, but b/c you did not comply to recertify in 07 to sell in 07, you cannot sell in 08 - even if you recertify in 07 for 08. Who knows??!! I'm just speculating here. It seems like sometimes, a sudden BAM DAM BOOM SMACK *ss right ACROSS THE FACE can happen at times with some of the things that occur with CMS and fmos.

I'll say this that I did not mention. I am Susie. And, I abstained from writing Humana b/c my FMO Parker and Associates at that time ( NO LONGER AM I WITH THEM) has or had their contract with Humana because I heard they may lose their agreement with them - which they deserve! Further this agreement they have with Humana states somewhere to: NEVER EVER release any agent. !!!!! What a mutual beneficial agreement, eh.... So now who gets me???? So in other words, it's indefinite??? !!!
Is this even legal?!?!? LIke, WTF??

Indeed, I learned this after my relationship went sour and how would I ever think to ask such a question before my seperation - for I have never ever experienced or heard of such a transaction!

Now, nowhere in my contract does it say this. But this is what I was told. And this is not what I signed on my so cleped 'binding' contract.
This so called contract is something I would not wipe my own a$$ with... okay. And do you think I have the $$$$ to hire a contract attorney! Damn some days I hate this buisness.. I really really do!

I have not had the time yet to resubmit to another agency (not like I have one mind) to try and push to see the legitimacy of their claim. Further, Humana's Gold sucked this year; but it may come back strong next year. I do not think I can contract directly through them on the indy side, but I will call to inquire; and if I cannot, then, at that point, I will ask for a referral to a few FMOs who I can interview (yes we interview as well too right..) and then resubmit and see what happens!

Additionally, Humana is super persnickity when it comes to compliance on the independent side. They are really strict. They have timed exams and you get 2 tries. (that's how it was this year). 2 strikes chump and you're out of representing Humana, while the others were much more lenient. I'm curious to see if the other carriers' recertification process will be as strict like Humana's.

Last edited:
You know what all of this means? It means that the FMOs are a lot smarter than we are. We bring them the dollars but they have US by the balls.

Maybe if enough of us said "%$#@ you guys. I'm not going to sell your product unless I can be direct to you. I have a licence and that means I have choices... life, health, DI, annuities, mortgage, final need, settlements, reverse, workplace supplements... and just how hard would it be for me to get a P&C ticket?" You want me to sell YOUR products, put money in YOUR pocket, but you want to hamstring me into a no-cut contract? $#@! that $#@#!

I don't know about the rest of you, but I cannot see any reason to sell any carrier that makes you go through an FMO. If I want to sell MA, I can sell the Blue Cross Freedom. If I want to sell M-supps, I can sell Blue Shield. When do we start doing what is in OUR best interest? Just how often do we have to be %$#@ in the #@!@!?

What we agents need is an organization that represents OUR interests. If there is one out there, I sure as %$#@ have not seen it.

YMMV.

Al

I feel you Al and I'm right there with you. The problem here where I live is that I cannot go directly through any carriers except for Pyramid and I found that out after the fact. That's okay though. I learn a lesson 1 time. That's it. And then I proceed... Too bad some of these lessons can be so so very costly and at times, very exacerbating.

I wish we had a union for indy agents. What a neat idea... eh... I feel there is such a need for this.

Unions are for people who dont do thier job the correct way. But that is another topic.

You are way too negative honestagent. When I read your posts I get that feeling inside like I get when my wife is nagging at me.:D Sorry but I really do and I thought it was funny.

Unions are for people who dont do thier job the correct way. But that is another topic.

You are way too negative honestagent. When I read your posts I get that feeling inside like I get when my wife is nagging at me.:D Sorry but I really do and I thought it was funny.

Evidently, you have not been stung by certain wraths of some particular FMOs and lucky you! Hopefully you never will. If you feel I'm 'too negative' then bypass my posts. Do what most men do and ignore the 'nagging' wife. You do know that's what most married men do with their nagging wives, .... right???!!!!

There are certain thoughts I too feel when I read your posts but have abstained from saying; afterall, this forum is not a middle school gymnasium locker room. Hope you have the sense to attain this remark.

As for your union statement, you are alluding that I do not do my 'job' accurately. And I am extremely offended.

Believe it or not Senior, there are people out there that do it all right - black and white - and still get stung and something needs to be done. But no, you would not know this now would you. Again, lucky you.

There are reasons why unions are in place. If you do not know, and sounds like you do not, then do yourself a favor and get off the forum for a while and educate yourself. You may just learn something/s.

YOU'RE HITTING IT HARD HERE. You don't know me, my core beliefs, nor how I practice my business. This stops here. Further, I don't find this funny. Remotely even. If you want to pursue this, then pm me and we can go to town there. Or better yet, don't. I don't have time to waste like some people. I've already wasted enough time typing a reply to you but felt compelled to - in the sincerest hope that you'll learn something from this.

Last, don't waste valuable space for cretinous, alleged comments that you have no substance nor knowledge to corroborate.

Last edited:
What am I suppose to learn from your post? I'll read it again..... ????

By the way, the remark about unions protecting people tht dont do thier job was not directed at you in anyway. That is just how I feel about unions. I have been in a few. So I do think I know what I am talking about.
Say what you want about my posts. It doesnt bother me. I am mature. Yeah so what, I spend too much time on here. Who cares?

<Moderated - name deleted> is not your expert! He only thinks he is. He spends most of his time on message boards like this or bugging FMO's and HO. I thought the name of the game is sales. <Deleted> could get 100% commission and starve because you first have to write a piece of business.

Last edited by a moderator:
What makes all of you think that going direct with a company, you would get paid more. BC/BS is direct but what do you get 10% commission? You take any company that goes direct with an agent, most cases the agent is paid the same as if an FMO were in place. Some companies do not want to spend the thousands of dollars to find agents so go through FMO's. Other want to spend it but it still comes out of your commissions. Can't imagine a union in the insurance industry, the last bastion of free enterprize america left.

Back