Renewals and Increased Premiums

ameneses54

Guru
100+ Post Club
Months ago I called the Marketplace asking about why customers who are automatically re-enrolled through them are submitted to alarming premium increases of 200-300% or more, even though income and other data had not changed. Believe it or not I was given a very comprehensive explanation--which I have forgotten.
Any body want to refresh my mind on this question?

This link is of interest to all and relates to my question:
http://www.cms.gov/CCIIO/Resources/Regulations-and-Guidance/Downloads/annual-redeterminations-for-coverage-42215.pdf

Last edited:
Months ago I called the Marketplace asking about why customers who are automatically re-enrolled through them are submitted to alarming premium increases of 200-300% or more, even though income and other data had not changed. Believe it or not I was given a very comprehensive explanation--which I have forgotten.
Any body want to refresh my mind on this question?

This link is of interest to all and relates to my question:
http://www.cms.gov/CCIIO/Resources/Regulations-and-Guidance/Downloads/annual-redeterminations-for-coverage-42215.pdf

This document was impossibly horrible to read . . . .didn't make it all the way through - trying to have a pleasant Monday. Anyway, the rates for the plan someone is currently enrolled in can change wildly depending upon what the "benchmark" silver plan is determined to be in subsequent years. There have been other threads related to just this and how it can impact premium. You can do a search for threads related to this & find tons of information.

All I know is - they made this whole thing as complicated & messy as possible. I don't know how they expect any "regular" citizen who is not too familiar with health insurance to begin with - to understand all of their complex formulas & rules . . . .

I was quite surprised I didn't get more call regarding 1095A's, and tax filings for the 2014 tax year. Now I know why.

Had a client call, stating IRS sent her letter that they never received 1095A with her filing.

How many of these are out there?

I was quite surprised I didn't get more call regarding 1095A's, and tax filings for the 2014 tax year. Now I know why.

Had a client call, stating IRS sent her letter that they never received 1095A with her filing.

Probably a lot. I had people tell me they never received the form - therefore, couldn't submit it . . . .

But - no worries, if your income didn't match, the government will automatically adjust this years Advanced Tax Credit without even notifying you . . . .happened to some of mine & it was very negative for them.

They should just have enrollment after taxes are filed & work with an ACTUAL income number to begin with. It wouldn't solve all problems, but would surely eliminate many. It would also eliminate the need for the IRS to police this & "make adjustments" . . . .

I've had a lady call me numerous times about her 1095A: she 'might' have gotten it in the mail but she probably threw it away. Her tax lady wanted her log-in information to get the 1095-A from her file. She asked me again for it on Friday. I looked out of curiosity. The 1095-A is no longer there. They've moved on to 2015. Good luck getting it now. So now accountants are also getting into client marketplace files.

I've had a lady call me numerous times about her 1095A: she 'might' have gotten it in the mail but she probably threw it away. Her tax lady wanted her log-in information to get the 1095-A from her file. She asked me again for it on Friday. I looked out of curiosity. The 1095-A is no longer there. They've moved on to 2015. Good luck getting it now. So now accountants are also getting into client marketplace files.

It's a free for all. No chance for a data breach there . . .

The CMS document that AmenEses54 linked to at the top of this thread says that if a taxpayer doesn't/didn't do the 2014 APTC reconciliation with this year's tax return, subsidy will be terminated on 12.31.2015. The policy will auto-renew 1.1.2016, at the 2016 premium, but without any subsidy.

Is it possible to file and reconcile, even if you didn't get a 1095-A?

Back