Renewals / Residuals

Hi Robert,
In my book of business, I have customers still on the mapd that I originally sold them 8 years ago, I have customers that flip year to year, my med supps stay in place unless their life income changes and they are forced to an advantage plan.

How long do your clients keep their medigap? As well as MAPD?

Obviously the goal is to keep them in the forever but I'm curious to hear is the average client 3 years? 6 years?

(Note: annual reviews are being done, as well as part d assistance each year)

Thanks,

Robert

It's the exception, not the rule, to lose a client.

For me, it's tough to say the %. My MAPD business is more volatile than my med supp book. The reason it's tough to say is because we change as brokers over time. i.e., in the beginning, a lot of my clients never really heard from me again. Many are still with me. Now that I have more experience, I recognize the value of keeping in contact. I use a send-out-cards campaign on every med supp / mapd client. I'm convinced that this has helped in (a) retention and (b) referrals.

The goal is 100% retention, losing the clients only when they pass away.

I'd imagine most good agents retain north of 90%.

It's the exception, not the rule, to lose a client.

For me, it's tough to say the %. My MAPD business is more volatile than my med supp book. The reason it's tough to say is because we change as brokers over time. i.e., in the beginning, a lot of my clients never really heard from me again. Many are still with me. Now that I have more experience, I recognize the value of keeping in contact. I use a send-out-cards campaign on every med supp / mapd client. I'm convinced that this has helped in (a) retention and (b) referrals.

The goal is 100% retention, losing the clients only when they pass away.

I'd imagine most good agents retain north of 90%.

what is a "send-out-card" campaign?

How long do your clients keep their medigap? As well as MAPD?

Obviously the goal is to keep them in the forever but I'm curious to hear is the average client 3 years? 6 years?

(Note: annual reviews are being done, as well as part d assistance each year)

Thanks,

Robert

They won't live forever, so that goal is unattainable.

Unscientifically, I expect to earn commissions an average of 6 years for every new Med-Supp client.

That normally involves rolling them to a cheaper plan somewhere in years 4-6 (don't do it to soon). It saves them a few bucks and resets the commission clock at a higher initial premium.

Is there a good system (not be too expensive) available for

keeping a client database

alerting renewal dates

helping to organize a send-out-cards campaign
for birthdays renewals AEP

Also, does anyone do something to show clients other products
like dental or final expense through a send-out-cards campaign
or something similar?

Last edited:
I keep my 800 + client book in an excel sheet and I write out my own birthday cards the last week of Dec. for the entire year, file them by month and mail them at the beginning of each month.
As far as a cross sell plan, I send out 2 newsletters a year highlighting different products and cross sell them.

Ialso keep track of my clients with an excel spreadsheet. I however, call my clients on their birthday to wish them a happy bday. But I also dont have 800+ clients...

Ialso keep track of my clients with an excel spreadsheet. I however, call my clients on their birthday to wish them a happy bday. But I also dont have 800+ clients...

Yeah eventually you'll nix those calls and use send out cards or something.

Back