Replacing UHC Medsupp with Another UHC Medsupp

axeman462

Guru
1000 Post Club
Florida
when replacing a uhc medsupp with another uhc medsuppp (plan F to N for example) Does the customer need to cancel their current uhc medsupp (like they would if i were replacing a bankers medsupp), and if they are already on Autodraft, do I still need to collect a voided check to set up autodraft for the new medsupp?

Strange....just had a request to change from an N to an F today.

According to agent handbook. client has to call into customer service at company and they will change him. Since it is a plan change, you will retain AOR status; unlike those MA plans where CSR keeps the rewrite commission.

You can either do a 3-way call with you, client and csr or just have the client do it. I would do the 3-way.and record name of company rep, date and time. Not that I'm suspicious or non-trusting and all that.

Strange....just had a request to change from an N to an F today.

According to agent handbook. client has to call into customer service at company and they will change him. Since it is a plan change, you will retain AOR status; unlike those MA plans where CSR keeps the rewrite commission.

You can either do a 3-way call with you, client and csr or just have the client do it. I would do the 3-way.and record name of company rep, date and time. Not that I'm suspicious or non-trusting and all that.

...what if I'm not the AOR? i cant do the paper app?

You probably won't get paid the commish because this is a plan change, not a new sale. So they will honor the first agents' effort and retain him as AOR, unless he is terminated.

If you are licensed with UHC why not call the producer desk or agents marketing/licensing and ask about internal replacements?

...what if I'm not the AOR? i cant do the paper app?

They use to pay if it was pre modernized plan switch to a new plan but not anymore - at least in Florida anyway.I recently did aswitch like this as a favor to one of my clients parents and I received no commish.I doubt it will happen but I will see if maybe they will pay renewal on 13th month.

And just as a FYI if you have a client on a modernized plan they can switch with a phone call but I recently had a rogue AARP agent tell my client they need a new application and sent one out one that would have cut me out of the loop so I would always be in on that 3 way call to AARP to switch plans.

I have to check again, but I think I asked UHC if they took AOR's, answer was no.
You all will correct me, if wrong, thanks in advance...:1wink:

Sheds a little light on the ability to request plan switch with no underwriting. Retention...of course..., if the client can do plan changes without new app. They do have the proviso in the agent guide that these are requests, not guarantees. I asked them to provide an example of when they might turn down a request. The rep had to reach on that one, but seemed to settle on the idea that if someone has some big bills coming up due to a new diagnosis, they could say no. None of this is official, however. No explicit rules about the right to say no, just that they have it.

No one mentions the "say no" clause in the marketing meetings. "Clients can change their plan any time". I sold it that way a few times until I found out it's not a guarantee. Now I say it could be possible, as you age, and feel more vulnerable or if you want to cut costs, you could ask to raise or lower your coverage to fit your situation. It's still a good feature, due to the no hassle/no underwriting questions.

Reminds me of the term life carriers with current and maximum rates on policies. When might they raise the rates? Not saying, but reserving the right to do it.

Last edited:
I have to check again, but I think I asked UHC if they took AOR's, answer was no.
You all will correct me, if wrong, thanks in advance...:1wink:

Sheds a little light on the ability to request plan switch with no underwriting. Retention...of course..., if the client can do plan changes without new app. They do have the proviso in the agent guide that these are requests, not guarantees. I asked them to provide an example of when they might turn down a request. The rep had to reach on that one, but seemed to settle on the idea that if someone has some big bills coming up due to a new diagnosis, they could say no. None of this is official, however. No explicit rules about the right to say no, just that they have it.

No one mentions the "say no" clause in the marketing meetings. "Clients can change their plan any time". I sold it that way a few times until I found out it's not a guarantee. Now I say it could be possible, as you age, and feel more vulnerable or if you want to cut costs, you could ask to raise or lower your coverage to fit your situation. It's still a good feature, due to the no hassle/no underwriting questions.

Reminds me of the term life carriers with current and maximum rates on policies. When might they raise the rates? Not saying, but reserving the right to do it.

If I mention the ability to switch with no underwriting to a client I emphasis there is nothing in writing that guarantees this and they could choose not to do it.

I don't think it's a diagnosis of a catastrophic claim that would cause AARP/UHC to deny the request to change plans because in reality F and N pay basically pay the same amounts if someone is hospitalized,has OP surgery,Chemo treatment,Skilled Care, Rehab etc. I think what they would be on guard about if someone switches often to game the policy ie switch to plan F in January and switch back to N after part B deductible met.

Interesting point about plan changes. I hadn't thought about what would happen to their deductible and other out of pocket expenses in a mid year situation.

Yes, I think intentional "system gaming" changes might be a main reason for their rights reservation on plan switch options.

i've switched several standardized to modernized, got paid on them, as earned, when they weren't my original customers. Just send in a new app, no check, etc, they switch them over and cancel the old app because you use their aarp number from their old policy

Back