Retire on renewals + avoid self employment

You are welcome.

The cheapest and easiest way for a solo business owner to reduce SE Tax is file as an S-Corp. Either as an actual established S-Corp, or as an LLC taking the S-election.

If making over $200k, then you could look at adding a DB Plan of some type.

You are welcome.

The cheapest and easiest way for a solo business owner to reduce SE Tax is file as an S-Corp. Either as an actual established S-Corp, or as an LLC taking the S-election.

If making over $200k, then you could look at adding a DB Plan of some type.

Just closed down s corp since the fees were high and income will slowly be juat renewals.

sep
deductions
annuities

seem like the only way to divert taxes in retirement. Unless u have ither vehicles ?

thanks again for ur input

Looks like it. If IRS is gonna tax 1099 renewals then business expense will still be Schedule C. They cannot have their cake and eat it.

If you have retired, you will have little to no expenses to merely collect renewal checks. I agree you could continue to create deductible expenses on the Schedule C, but that doesn't mean at audit time they will pass the audit test, but worth a shot

Just closed down s corp since the fees were high and income will slowly be juat renewals.

sep
deductions
annuities

seem like the only way to divert taxes in retirement. Unless u have ither vehicles ?

thanks again for ur input

Off the top of my head, LLCs are cheaper than S-Corps to maintain. And you can still file taxes like an S-Corp as an LLC by taking the "S Exemption".

You could look at investing in Muni-Bonds for tax-free income.

You could look at income generating investments in general that are only subject to Capital Gains taxes.

But it seems that your goal is to minimize taxes on business income. And for that singular goal, your options are pretty limited without having a business entity.

If you have retired, you will have little to no expenses to merely collect renewal checks. I agree you could continue to create deductible expenses on the Schedule C, but that doesn't mean at audit time they will pass the audit test, but worth a shot

all in all just keep working is the best answer to Uncle Sam in pocket

immediately tax bracket 10% @28,000 taxable income

10% bracket is not up to 28K for single filer, it is only the 1st 9500, 12% then up to $38k, then 22%. Not a big difference.

Finally as u see your renewals dwindle as u saves 250,000 in the kitty to age 62 its time!
Monthly income

1. 1,150.00 Social Sec income

taking SS at 62 is likely a bad move. With a guaranteed jump of 8% in your SS check each year, best to wait to 65,67 or 70 even if it means accessing more of your savings in retirement accounts/life/annuities to live on from 62-65. where else can you get a guaranteed boost of 8% for life for each year you delay. Wait to age 67 & that is 40% larger SS checks for life than taking them at 62

Off the top of my head, LLCs are cheaper than S-Corps to maintain. And you can still file taxes like an S-Corp as an LLC by taking the "S Exemption".

You could look at income generating investments in general that are only subject to Capital Gains taxes.

But it seems that your goal is to minimize taxes on business income. And for that singular goal, your options are pretty limited without having a business entity.

yes, i wanted to simplify retirement taxation which may sound a bit foolish, but its the direction I am going aft dissolving corp in Oct. I have done the corporate s for years and got tired of all the fees, reports as a one person employee. Not interested in more than selln a myself an annuity or SEP contribution. Seems like the simple route has his pros and cons. no problem filing qtrly on tax turbo and free of the many arms wanting paid.
thx

10% bracket is not up to 28K for single filer, it is only the 1st 9500, 12% then up to $38k, then 22%. Not a big difference.

taking SS at 62 is likely a bad move. With a guaranteed jump of 8% in your SS check each year, best to wait to 65,67 or 70 even if it means accessing more of your savings in retirement accounts/life/annuities to live on from 62-65. where else can you get a guaranteed boost of 8% for life for each year you delay. Wait to age 67 & that is 40% larger SS checks for life than taking them at 62

i agree. matters whether I have to or not. If renewals go for 10+ years then its all good.

So much for schedule C this article sways me to do an EZ40 return.

Itemized Deductions or the Standard Deduction: Which Is Better? - NerdWallet

If total income is about 40,000 renewals a single person gets 12,000 of standard deductions. If I put 6,000 into an SEP the net taxable income is 22,000. I assume 28,000 would be taxed under self employment?

Why would I itemize if I cannot find 12,000 worth if deductions?

thanks for ur input!

Back