Roommate waited 5 months to get an estimate done on car i scratched. What the best thing to do?

It's YOUR policy, so YOU should have filed the claim when it occurred and let your insurance company handle it from there.

So I did call my insurance agent, but I was told by their office that I had to wait for other person to submit their information to file the claim.

There is no law that says he needs to get the car fixed. he can pocket your cash or the insurance company cash either way. If you offer to cover the cost of the repair when he gets it fixed however, there is then an incentive to get the car repaired of not get paid. He is your roommate. Tell him to take it the bodyshop and you will cover the bill. Have your company inspect it once it is there or rely on the pictures sent from the bodyshop.

See thats why I was kinda confused on what to do since it took so god damn long. I was a dumbass and didnt take any more pictures, since that area was the only damage that I noticed at the time. Knowing my roomate, I really doubt he took any pictures the day off so I dont even know if he can prove that i caused any other damage or not. That's gonna make it really hard to prove what damage I did and didnt cause. And because it took so long I dont what extra damage may have accumulated.
16 year old vehicle. this has happened in my driveway at my house numerous times with our kids driving or other kids & adults hitting our cars. For an older car like this, I see no reason to do a full on repair unless the roomate demands it. Gonna likely happen again while he owns the car. when it has happened to us, we make an offer of cash to the person on older cars like this & they can choose to repair or in most cases just buff it out or touch it up for way less than the cash. again, not being cheapo, but when it is minor cosmetic on an older car & not major dents/damage I honestly dont see the point.

Had a few over the years say they still wanted full repairs, so we either paid body shop the full amount or filed insurance claim. in 2 of those scenarios, the 1 tahoe was totalled by their other son 4 months later & a van had the engine blow up less than a year later & the repairs were a worthless repair.

to each his own I guess

Another detail: he has been radio silent everytime I have bought up insurance claims. In the email he sent me, he specifically stated he wanted a to be paid directly. Then, when I texted him that I would like to at least try and pursue an insurance claim first he was did not respond. I am 90% sure that he never even contacted my insurance, he though I gave him my info right after the incident.
That combined with the weird time gap is shady as shit, at least to me.

how much weed does he consume, got a sneaking suspicion on this

how much weed does he consume, got a sneaking suspicion on this

Oddly enough he doesnt really do weed. He is an alcoholic though. He is just a lazy POS. It took months to pay his share of the deposit for the lease and getting rent from him is a nightmare.He usually doesnt get up until like 2 pm and his room is constantly trashed.

Oddly enough he doesnt really do weed. He is an alcoholic though. He is just a lazy POS. It took months to pay his share of the deposit for the lease and getting rent from him is a nightmare.He usually doesnt get up until like 2 pm and his room is constantly trashed.

I was half right. My son's college roommate is exact same. He is still awake when my son gets up to go to work at 7am. Then he sleeps til 3 everyday. But weed is his vice. Good luck with all of this.

You can always blow it off & make him take you to small claims court. Are you even sure his car was even insured? Not that it matters because you technically hit his property not his car like would be the case if his car was moving at the time, etc

Back