Safeco's study "The State Of Women in Insurance"

Just happened to watch a 2002 episode of South Park yesterday with my adult daughter (never been a huge fan of South Park for the foul language & some of its weirdness). but this episode is really pretty accurate as to where we are at in regard to acceptance, tolerance & division (disagreement goes immediately to being considered intolerant/hateful/bigoted).

The episode seems extreme (especially 20 years ago) but some recent events tend to reveal there is some reality to this. Even some of my friends that are liberal & relatives that are gay believe extremists have overtaken their causes.

story line is a teacher is trying to get fired to be able to sue. teacher gets more & more extreme to the point that all the kids & even other minority employees are disciplined & sent to concentration camp for being intolerant. The more & more bizarre the teacher gets, the more praise for courage he receives.

Not sure where you can watch entire episode, but here is a Youtube clip #1 of 10: South Park: The Death Camp of Tolerance (part 1/10) - YouTube

South Park: The Death Camp of Tolerance (part 5/10) - YouTube

Great episode. I understand some don't like the language and such, those guys took the mixing of comedy and commentary to a new level.

Great episode. I understand some don't like the language and such, those guys took the mixing of comedy and commentary to a new level.

For sure, just shocked they have not been cancelled with old episodes removed, etc.

Some times, the filler content they have is beyond bizarre.....like the 5 min in this episode of gerbil inside the guy

For sure, just shocked they have not been cancelled with old episodes removed, etc.

Some times, the filler content they have is beyond bizarre.....like the 5 min in this episode of gerbil inside the guy

Lemmiwinks! He makes another appearance in a later season to battle his evil brother Wikileaks. Hilarious.

They have at least 1 episode touching on pretty much every social issue. Even if you don't like the absurdity, the entire series is must-see for the commentary alone.

Reminder to watch the Podcast this conversation is all about:

I think you seem like a good guy, so please don't take this as anything other than honest feedback.

In the video, you both ignore that the "67 cents on the dollar" figure is specifically SALES AGENTS. Unless you're suggesting that it would be fair for women to be paid a higher commission % than men, what is the "problem" you're even wanting to address?

Per the Safeco poll, 96% of CSRs are women; why no concern that this is sexist hiring practice against men? 68% of producers are women, even though the numbers show men produce at a higher rate (thus the pay gap in commissioned positions). Same question.

Now, I don't think those numbers necessarily show bias against men because people can only hire the people willing to work for them. But the stance in this video is clearly that discrepancy = problem, so why is this not a "problem" to the two of you in the video?

And if your answer is that discrepancy doesn't necessarily = problem, then what is this even about? Why is it a "problem" that men make up 69% of principals?

Last edited:
I think you seem like a good guy, so please don't take this as anything other than honest feedback.

In the video, you both ignore that the "67 cents on the dollar" figure is specifically SALES AGENTS. Unless you're suggesting that it would be fair for women to be paid a higher commission % than men, what is the "problem" you're even wanting to address?

Per the Safeco poll, 96% of CSRs are women; why no concern that this is sexist hiring practice against men? 68% of producers are women, even though the numbers show men produce at a higher rate (thus the pay gap in commissioned positions). Same question.

Now, I don't think those numbers show necessarily show bias against men because people can only hire the people willing to work for them. But the stance in this video is clearly that discrepancy = problem, so why is this not a "problem" to the two of you in the video?

And if your answer is that discrepancy doesn't necessarily = problem, then what is this even about? Why is it a "problem" that men make up 69% of principals?

200.gif

OK, encore time.

Shawn isn't a stupid person. He got where he is because he's smart. He knows this is nonsense.

He also knows that if he lets on that he knows it's nonsense there will be major repercussions for his career and potentially his company beyond himself. His company will devote resources to "empower women" teams just to signal how on board with the nonsense they are because the consequences of not being on board are worse.

But what's he supposed to do? He's just a good guy trying to have a career and be happy.

This is happening all over the place, and in industries with far more at stake than insurance.

OK, encore time.

Shawn isn't a stupid person. He got where he is because he's smart. He knows this is nonsense.

He also knows that if he lets on that he knows it's nonsense there will be major repercussions for his career and potentially his company beyond himself. His company will devote resources to "empower women" teams just to signal how on board with the nonsense they are because the consequences of not being on board are worse.

But what's he supposed to do? He's just a good guy trying to have a career and be happy.

This is happening all over the place, and in industries with far more at stake than insurance.

Look, we can empower women. I don't think they'll want it, but we'll see. More men commit suicide. Do women want that? More men go to prison. Do women want that too? Men are more likely to work dangerous jobs, and be victims of violence. I don't think women want that. Men are more likely to struggle in school and be homeless. Do women want that too? More men die of Covid. Do they want that too? After you factor in time off, job choices, and overtime, the difference between men and womens pay is very small. No sane woman would take all the many disadvantages of being a man for a small pay increase.

Look, we can empower women. I don't think they'll want it, but we'll see. More men commit suicide. Do women want that? More men go to prison. Do women want that too? Men are more likely to work dangerous jobs, and be victims of violence. I don't think women want that. Men are more likely to struggle in school and be homeless. Do women want that too? More men die of Covid. Do they want that too? After you factor in time off, job choices, and overtime, the difference between men and womens pay is very small. No sane woman would take all the many disadvantages of being a man for a small pay increase.

Even worse for the men that identify as women. They get the biolgical negatives of life expectancy & then take in the negative psychological effects of being a man........all for less money.

Back