Samples of Cold Call Tele Scripts

Judging from our past conversations on the phone, I gather we are very much like alike in some aspects. I believe you mentioned YIO software about 15 times in our last conversation and I greatly enjoyed talking with you. I do prefer a laid-back approach versus being too aggressive, which is why I like the yes or no response initially. I save the chit-chat for the second call unless I pick up on something.

I only meant as far as the initial call is concerned. That is the problem with typing, I know what I mean when I say something, but I may be the only one.

I wasn't being critical of what you said, just saying that I take a totally different approach initially. Your comment did sound pretty aggressive and slam bam thank you mam and I should have know better after talking to you.

"Now I think that is a waste of time and believe that you need to speak to as many people as possible and simply get a yes or no and then call back and qualify the hell out of them and learn how to dump and who to dump."

It is so easy to be misinterpreted when typing a comment or response. It will never replace a phone conversation and a phone conversation will never replace a face to face meeting.

I only meant as far as the initial call is concerned. That is the problem with typing, I know what I mean when I say something, but I may be the only one.

Yep, Dementia does that to people ;)

I wasn't being critical of what you said, just saying that I take a totally different approach initially. Your comment did sound pretty aggressive and slam bam thank you mam and I should have know better after talking to you.

One of the downsides to typing online is it is hard to come across in your own voice. I have no problem with anybody criticizing what I do. If there is a better way to do something I'm all ears. The idea about before as acting "as if" should be familiar to anybody who has read any sales from Tracey, Zigler, etc. It deserves it's merit, but it also forces you to think, "I can't waste time dilly-dallying." People respect you more when they know you are a busy man and are taking time out of your schedule to help them. They may not say it out-loud, but if you come across as being genuinely busy, people can pick up on that and it is exciting.

"Now I think that is a waste of time and believe that you need to speak to as many people as possible and simply get a yes or no and then call back and qualify the hell out of them and learn how to dump and who to dump."

It is so easy to be misinterpreted when typing a comment or response. It will never replace a phone conversation and a phone conversation will never replace a face to face meeting.[/quote]

Agreed.

I try to keep things simple and laid back when making the first call:

"Hi, is John available?" "Hi John, this is Delta calling, I'm an insurance broker, did I catch you with a minute to talk? (I always ask)"

There a three responses: Yes, no, what's this about? If "no", ask when would be a good time to call back. Many times they'll ask "what's this about?", then proceed.

If "yes" or "what's this about?", move forward.

"I work with health insurance benefits and I wanted to find out what your currently doing, do you have a group plan or does everyone have individual policies? Carrier? How long? ect."

I work my next response off what I found out. Their carrier just raised prices, is uncompetitive, rate table is high, ect or I just use a generic, simple close.

"Would you be interested in looking at some options to try a lower your premiums?"
(I personally like the word "options" better than "free quote". The latter makes it sound like you'll put some information together and mail it out without expecting a committment from the prospect. In reality, I do much more than just quote, I look for more efficient plan designs also. I won't go through the effort unless the prospect is serious enough to give me some time.)

As stated above, the key to any script or converstation is to ask a closing question. If you don't ask, they can't say yes. I prefer to talk in a laid back fashion and I ask that last question very casually, if they say no, I don't pursue it any further. Your job or that of a telemarketer is to find prospects that are interested in bettering their situation, not turn someone into a prospect.

Wanna buy some life insurance?
Don't make me have to sign your name!

Yeah... that may be a good pitch for life insurance but, for health insurance does your pitch go something like this?

Wanna buy some health insurance?
Don't make me have to sign your name!

Years ago, a guy in my office would say... "Hi. This is Chad Harbine from XXX Insurance Company. Would you like to buy some life insurance?"

Obviously, a lot of "no" answers, but he did fairly well.

I don't necessarily recommend that method though.

You can't be serious! He would actually cold-call with that method? What was his percentages like? Did he try to answer objections, or did he just move on and try the next one?

"I can't waste time dilly-dallying." People respect you more when they know you are a busy man and are taking time out of your schedule to help them. They may not say it out-loud, but if you come across as being genuinely busy, people can pick up on that and it is exciting.

That may be true in some professions but an insurance agents "schedule" is trying to sell insurance. Making phone calls is a huge part of that "schedule". I think he public knows that.

Unless you consider your "schedule" posting on this discussion board. ;)

A vet who takes time to answer questions over the phone about a sick horse while treating another one in the clinic is "taking time out of his schedule to help them". I don't believe an insurance agent making cold calls can say that.

People where you live may find it "exciting" to get a phone call from a "too busy" insurance agent. People around here would call that anything but "exciting".

You may not be hearing what they are really "not saying out-loud". I have heard a lot of people talk about phone calls they have received from insurance agents and "exciting" is not one the words they have used.

All I'm saying is that the "busy approach" would never work for me. No matter what I'm doing or how busy I may actually be, I always make time to talk to someone.

It obviously works for you, I could never pull it off. As I said earlier, there really isn't a "Best Way" for everyone.

Last edited:
That may be true in some professions but an insurance agents "schedule" is trying to sell insurance. Making phone calls is a huge part of that "schedule". I think he public knows that.

Unless you consider your "schedule" posting on this discussion board. ;)

Damn right I do ;)

A vet who takes time to answer questions over the phone about a sick horse while treating another one in the clinic is "taking time out of his schedule to help them". I don't believe an insurance agent making cold calls can say that.

Quite true, but I try not to waste time when I cold call. When I touch base with a prospective client the second time (telemarketed leads are worked different than internet), then yes, I will take time to help some people out even if I don't make money. But we are talkin about two different things. There is charity and there is business. Case in point, I have a follow-up appt. with a woman tomorrow night at 8:00 p.m. to go over the information she needed to get in order to find out about her group insurance options through her husband's job, and possibilities of getting Medicaid, CHIP programs, etc.

Does she know that I am not going to make money off of her? Yes, because I told her that I will not make any money by helping her, but I don't care! Don't get all emotional on me Frank. I allow myself the chance to help out 1 person/family a week in which I do not make any money.

People where you live may find it "exciting" to get a phone call from a "too busy" insurance agent. People around here would call that anything but "exciting".

If, and when, I decide to move down to NC,SC.....I may change my approach, however, anybody from the east coast knows that we lives a face paced life up here in the North-East.
You may not be hearing what they are really "not saying out-loud". I have heard a lot of people talk about phone calls they have received from insurance agents and "exciting" is not one the words they have used.

I agree personality comes into play..

All I'm saying is that the "busy approach" would never work for me. No matter what I'm doing or how busy I may actually be, I always make time to talk to someone.

I do too, as long as it does not interfere with my goals. Work first, play later!

It obviously works for you, I could never pull it off. As I said earlier, there really isn't a "Best Way" for everyone.

Agreed. I'm still in the process of honing my process, but I am having fun along the way.

I try to keep things simple and laid back when making the first call:

"Hi, is John available?" "Hi John, this is Delta calling, I'm an insurance broker, did I catch you with a minute to talk? (I always ask)"

There a three responses: Yes, no, what's this about? If "no", ask when would be a good time to call back. Many times they'll ask "what's this about?", then proceed.

If "yes" or "what's this about?", move forward.

"I work with health insurance benefits and I wanted to find out what your currently doing, do you have a group plan or does everyone have individual policies? Carrier? How long? ect."

I work my next response off what I found out. Their carrier just raised prices, is uncompetitive, rate table is high, ect or I just use a generic, simple close.

"Would you be interested in looking at some options to try a lower your premiums?"
(I personally like the word "options" better than "free quote". The latter makes it sound like you'll put some information together and mail it out without expecting a committment from the prospect. In reality, I do much more than just quote, I look for more efficient plan designs also. I won't go through the effort unless the prospect is serious enough to give me some time.)

As stated above, the key to any script or converstation is to ask a closing question. If you don't ask, they can't say yes. I prefer to talk in a laid back fashion and I ask that last question very casually, if they say no, I don't pursue it any further. Your job or that of a telemarketer is to find prospects that are interested in bettering their situation, not turn someone into a prospect.

Delta,

Not so sure about your script. I was curious today and gave it a try and every contact, of course, was to busy and didnt have a minute. When I asked when a good time to call back, they would just say "send me some info and I will look at it"? Yea Im sure you will!! CLICK

I think that script needs to be more direct. Instead of:

Say

"We save our clients an average of 40% off their current premiums while still providing comprehensive coverage. We can send the information out to you by tomorrow. Would you like it sent to your email or business address?

Back