Scope of Appointment Insanity

Ronnie Carter

Guru
100+ Post Club
Maybe I am the last to find out about this, but...

The '25 UnitedHealthcare recertification training has this language in it, pertaining to home visits, or virtual or telephonic:
  • When during an appointment, a consumer or agent requests to discuss a health-related product not identified on the original SOA, a new SOA that identifies the new product must be obtained and a future appointment scheduled no less than 48 hours from the time when the SOA is obtained. This includes appointments for Medicare Supplement Insurance where the agent determines that an MA Plan and/or a PDP may be beneficial to the consumer, but was not identified in an SOA prior to the start of the appointment.
In the past, if one wanted to comply with the rules, during an appointment, whenever a client requested information on a product not originally indicated, we would write a new SOA and, in full compliance, continue with the appointment.

This new rule clearly says that if I drove 100 miles to meet with a client and his original SOA only specified PDP plans, and then he asks about MAPDs, I would need to execute a new scope, leave, and return two days later to continue the discussion. That's insane.

Is this a new CMS reg that I missed, or is this specific to UnitedHealthcare?

Lastly, is there anyone in his right mind who would do this?

Maybe I am the last to find out about this, but...

The '25 UnitedHealthcare recertification training has this language in it, pertaining to home visits, or virtual or telephonic:
  • When during an appointment, a consumer or agent requests to discuss a health-related product not identified on the original SOA, a new SOA that identifies the new product must be obtained and a future appointment scheduled no less than 48 hours from the time when the SOA is obtained. This includes appointments for Medicare Supplement Insurance where the agent determines that an MA Plan and/or a PDP may be beneficial to the consumer, but was not identified in an SOA prior to the start of the appointment.
In the past, if one wanted to comply with the rules, during an appointment, whenever a client requested information on a product not originally indicated, we would write a new SOA and, in full compliance, continue with the appointment.

This new rule clearly says that if I drove 100 miles to meet with a client and his original SOA only specified PDP plans, and then he asks about MAPDs, I would need to execute a new scope, leave, and return two days later to continue the discussion. That's insane.

Is this a new CMS reg that I missed, or is this specific to UnitedHealthcare?

Lastly, is there anyone in his right mind who would do this?
"I forgot"

In other words, I don't think most carriers really care that much.

"I forgot"

In other words, I don't think most carriers really care that much.

A literal quote from one of the field manager's of one of the companies.....

"The scope's?...oh yea, we don't care about those at all. Just make sure you have one if it ever comes up." Hint, hint.

Been in this business for a LONG time, and it's never "come up." Why? Because they and the concept of them is completely and utterly stupid.

Last edited:
That's why you should always suggest the client/prospective client check off all the product type boxes. The SOA does not obligate the beneficiary in any way. It simply grants you their permission to discuss the product types they check off and this allows you to discuss whichever product type they want. Problem solved.

Let's also not forget that this is UHC, who is stupendously incorrect in their training by stating that meals at an educational (Medicare 101) event are limited to a $15 max per attendee.

Back