Humana to depart 13 Medicare Advantage markets

Northeast Agent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Pennsylvania

Humana previewed its Medicare Advantage strategy for the coming plan year, including a decision to quit 13 counties where performance has been unsatisfactory, at the Wells Fargo Healthcare Conference on Wednesday.

The Medicare Advantage heavyweight, which had 6.2 million members in those plans as of the second quarter, expects to lose a few hundred thousand enrollees in 2025 as it prioritizes profitable markets, Chief Financial Officer Susan Diamond told investors at the event in Everett, Massachusetts.

In addition to leaving those 13 counties, Humana will offer fewer plans in some other areas, Diamond said. About 560,000 members will have to choose new policies for 2025, most of whom will have other Humana plans available to them, she said.

“The exit itself is positive in the sense that those plans were not contributing. And so just exiting, even if we don't retain the members, is positive,” Diamond said.

Diamond did not specify what markets will be affected, but Humana will continue selling Medicare Advantage plans in every state. The company is committed to a presence in certain favorable regions, including south Florida, she said.

Humana also is focused on its dual eligible special needs plans for people enrolled in both Medicare and Medicaid and on its Humana Honor plans for military veterans, Diamond said.

The insurer expects enrollment to be flat in the markets where it will offer Medicare Advantage plans, Diamond said. In fact, that's deliberate, she said.

“It was not that we couldn't see better results than that, and we couldn't grow,” Diamond said. “It's just we wanted to make sure with the earnings progression that we were trying to achieve that was not dependent on driving industry-average growth.”

Humana will provide brokers information on members who will be most affected by plan changes and is adding staff to its call centers in anticipation of an uptick in inquiries.

In addition to the geographic realignment, Humana is scaling back benefits and raising premiums to improve margins, CEO Jim Rechtin said in July.

“There's going to be a lot of frustration over the absolute level of changes across the board," Diamond said. "They will go through the process even if they are frustrated by the level of benefit change we made. If, in fact, that plan is still the best option, they will stay typically in the plan.”

Medicare Advantage carriers have been pummeled by higher medical costs and utilization since last year. Like other insurers, Humana has experienced higher inpatient utilization, although Diamond said recent data show the trend is stabilizing.

Humana's net income declined 29.2% to $679 million during the second quarter as revenue increased 10.4% to $29.5 billion, the company reported in July.

Anthem came super hard to hurt all . Humana could lose 15% of their members in the next yr . I think the big winners of 2025 will be Anthem , United and devoted . Humana ,Aetna and WellCare will be kicked to the curb . Brokers very vunerable as they’ve been very to heavy in Humana and Aetna the last 3 plus yrs.

Anthem came super hard to hurt all . Humana could lose 15% of their members in the next yr . I think the big winners of 2025 will be Anthem , United and devoted . Humana ,Aetna and WellCare will be kicked to the curb . Brokers very vunerable as they’ve been very to heavy in Humana and Aetna the last 3 plus yrs.
What’s your measure of winning? Because for Aetna and Humana to win, they need to lose some of their members. For them there’s more money to be made by pulling back and turning away low/no/negative margin business.

Does anyone have any knowledge of which states Humana is discontinuing Advantage plans in for 2025? Will Humana also be discontinuing states where they sell stand alone Part D plans? All the other carriers have already had their kick off meetings but I can't find any info about Humana for 2025.

Does anyone have any knowledge of which states Humana is discontinuing Advantage plans in for 2025? Will Humana also be discontinuing states where they sell stand alone Part D plans? All the other carriers have already had their kick off meetings but I can't find any info about Humana for 2025.
Humana left no states . They discontinued specific plans in many counties in many states . They also left a few countys in some states. That said depending on what state you’re in they stripped plans badly and cut benefits big . I’ll be moving a large portion of my book this aep. Some because they left the county on the plan or the plan medical and benefits were cut so deeply i have to move.As I’ve been saying for a long time this aep for anyone with a book will be spent moving clients around .

Nikita said:

Have you seen their First Looks that were released on Friday?

I read in a FB group that the NY plans are being pretty much gutted.

Reach out to your Humana broker manager if you haven't received emails about the kickoffs. Mine (Philly area) is this Tuesday, after being pushed out from August 21st.

Back