SCOTUS on TV

Party & pizza seem paltry compensation for a boring broadcast.

I'll just read the summary the next day - after I read the comics.

The decision will be more interesting - end of June.

Bring it on !!!! I've changed the offer to beer instead of pizza :goofy:

But Will We Get To Watch It on TV? In other Supreme Court news, on Thursday the Senate Judiciary Committee approved bipartisan legislation requiring televised broadcasting of Supreme Court proceedings. The vote was 11-7, with Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) siding with six Republicans in opposition. Republican Senators Charles Grassley (IA) and John Cornyn (TX) joined Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy (D-VT) and eight other Democrats in support of the measure.

So, the question is, does Congress have the authority to force the Supreme Court to allow its hearings to be televised? Beyond just controlling the purse strings.

I certainly hope it doesn't think so....
Besides, the Supreme Court could just overturn it :)

But, since you only ever see them sitting, would they have standing to overturn it????

Dan

Party & pizza seem paltry compensation for a boring broadcast.

I'll just read the summary the next day - after I read the comics.

The decision will be more interesting - end of June.

Indeed, the decision announcement will be of most interest. It will get more live coverage than the O.J. Simpson verdict.

Since the Supreme Court agreed to listen to only 5 hours of oral arguments, it's probably safe to assume that most of them will have made up their mind already. The Oral Arguments are nothing compared to the thousands of pages of written arguments and requests that are arriving at the SCOTUS offices every day from interested parties nationwide.
-ac

Indeed, the decision announcement will be of most interest. It will get more live coverage than the O.J. Simpson verdict.

Since the Supreme Court agreed to listen to only 5 hours of oral arguments, it's probably safe to assume that most of them will have made up their mind already. The Oral Arguments are nothing compared to the thousands of pages of written arguments and requests that are arriving at the SCOTUS offices every day from interested parties nationwide.
-ac

I read somewhere that the 5 hrs is actually the highest amount ever by SCOTUS.

Interesting ....

Justice Kagan has recused herself from the Affirmative Action case appearing before the USSC this year, apparently based on her previous soliciting for the case. Yet she won't recuse herself from PPACA for the same reasons.

I feel like this will get some legs at some point, as it rightly should.

Woohoo....30 more minutes. That's 2% of a day or .000057 of a year. Thnaks for serving the american people

The Hill (2/22, Baker) reports in its "Healthwatch" blog, "The Supreme Court on Tuesday added even more time for oral arguments in the landmark case over President Obama's healthcare reform law." An extra 30 minutes was added, bringing the case to six hours. Notably, "It was already set to be the longest argument in the court's modern history."

Back