Seeking Advice for Interview Questions

Emese

Greetings,

I've got an interview with a California Farmers insurance team next week to fill the role of their Life Insurance agent. There are 3 agents in the office and none of them do currently do Life.

I wanted to talk to the experts (that is all of you :) ) to see what questions I should ask during the interview.

It's been 10 years since I let my license expire and I never actually spent any time in the industry so if you all could keep the terms as layperson as possible I would appreciate it.

A little back story:

After school I was planning on doing health insurance sales so I got my license. I ended up taking a position with a sales company that does consulting and face to face sales for various business to business product companies (non insurance). I've been with my employer 10 years now and I really enjoy my work. We do exclusively cold calling face to face canvassing stuff and I've worked my way up to manage a national team that is trending to bring in a large chunk of revenue into the parent company this year.

Even though I manage a group I like to pound the pavement solo for a few days every quarter to assess the real environment my sales reps are experiencing. It helps me coach them and drive the kind of results I want. At any rate, earlier last week I went to a Farmer's location to pitch my service products. I got along really well with the group of people that worked there and ended up closing them on my services.

In the midst of the discussion they asked if I'd ever thought about selling insurance. I mentioned that I used to have my Life/Health license and they told me that they really needed someone with my skills to work with them on Life. I've knocked on thousands of businesses in my tenure and many insurance groups have tried to recruit me (and have failed because I love my job and already make great money) but I really connected with the people working here. Our personalities just seemed to work together well and we found ourselves laughing nonstop.

Their pitch seemed too good to be true:

No one does Life (although the owner is licensed, she sticks to Health)

They are currently referring their customers to another firm across town when they want Life. If I were to join them they would give me all their leads/referrals/etc... for that type of insurance.

They encouraged me to keep my day job- since they said I could meet with clients during the evening hours.

The owner is awesome. She was in her 60's, owned the business since the early 80's, very professional and well spoken, and drives a pristine 1950's Chevy. She said her hobby was working on classic cars and she has personally restored around 40. She said a couple other things that I really liked about being frugal with the office space, her car, and her own living expenses. I've been around countless sales people/managers that spend ridiculous amounts of money on trivial objects instead of investing that money in their business. It was refreshing to talk to someone with her disposition.

We chatted briefly about commissions and she said she would give me 85% until she hit her bonus, then she would pay me 100% and she would just keep the bonus. (I am not too familiar with Insurance pay outs but this sounds great).

The owner said that she can sell other policies besides Farmers and I would have access to a substantial product set. Again, I'm not too savvy on the Insurance lingo but I imagine this is good also.

What do you all think? What should I ask/clarify when I meet them?

Thank you for your help.

One question to ask is what is the commission rate on those life products. Some P&C companies are terribly low. If the commission is 35% and you get 85% you aren't going to make a lot. That is a less than 30% payout whereas most indies make 100-130% commission.

One question to ask is what is the commission rate on those life products. Some P&C companies are terribly low. If the commission is 35% and you get 85% you aren't going to make a lot. That is a less than 30% payout whereas most indies make 100-130% commission.

Thanks Xrac, can you be a little more specific as to what an acceptable commission rate should be on the products?

For example X% commission with a Y% pay out

It depends upon what is acceptable to you. I just want to advise you to go in with your eyes wide open. If you are willing to work the extra hours it doesn't look like you have a lot to lose other than licensing costs. However, if no one there sells life who will teach you the ropes? How will you work the book of bsuiness?

Xrac is definitely on point; I would also be concerned about what is considered "evening" hours. A lot of clients have adverse feelings about being contacted after dark. Ask what production is expected of you, and what support can you expect from the agency. While these are potential pitfalls, you can be successful with the proper support. I wish you well!

I would only consider doing this if it can be integrated into what you are doing now. You seem to be successful in your field, you enjoy what you do, and have built a team that is recognized on a national level. Why distract yourself from what you are doing now, are you going to encourage the team members that you train to also get part time gigs selling other products after hours?

I was a Farmers agent for 8 years and went Independent 3 years ago. I will tell you this and please keep in mind I left on my own accord as one of the top agents in the state.

The life products are very old and not many. You will have a VUL, UL, whole Life and no Index. The commissions are 40% term and 50 or 55% on permanent if I remember correctly. If you truly believe in helping people with life products you will get frustrated because you have to fit people into the few options you have. Also when I went independent I was shocked at how much more the Farmers products were.

If you work for an agency and it is found out you wrote a life policy outside of Farmers that would have qualified in the Farmers portfolio out you go. The agency owner probably would be fine.

I am not trying to pee on your cheerio but I know at least 15 unbelievable life agents that tried the same thing and never made it. So keep the day job and give it a whirl just know few will be totally honest with you.

And again I did not and still am not a disgruntled ex agent just trying to help

----------

I may have had the commission off I believe it was around 60% term and 50% perm but the agent should give you those in writing and maybe other Farmers agents can give the commission

Back