Self-directed IRA's and Solo IRA's

I'm not sure about anything other than real estate. I don't use self-directed IRA's or Solo 401(k) for anything other than roll overs with a minimum of 60k. You can google for your questions... Tons on information out there.
whall

Hi Emptyeternity,

Two thoughts:

Re: how your IRA can invest larger sums than the annual contribution limits, most people to do by rolling over a 401(k) from a former employer. These often accumulate significant sums of money, and can be rolled directly into a self-directed IRA.

Re: metals (silver, gold) investments in your IRA, it is prohibited by the Internal Revenue Code to transfer metals you personally own into your own IRA. The IRA must purchase the metal on your behalf. You also cannot take physical possession of the metal while held by your IRA. You will need to, through your IRA administrator, have your metals stored at a third party depository. One of the most commonly used (and reputable) is Delaware Depository; others include Idaho Armored Vault and Dakota Depository. To purchase the metal with your IRA, make sure you have identified the dealer from whom you wish to purchase the metal; prices/fees/shipping costs vary widely. Also consider the weights of the metal you purchase. If you reach the age where you wish to take a distribution of some of the metal, lighter weights allow greater flexibility. For more information on SDIRAs, consider contacting The Entrust Group. They know their stuff and have local reps in a number of markets across the country. So you can speak with someone dedicated to you and possibly local rather than just someone via an 800 number.

Good luck. Let me know if I can help more as I know the SDIRA industry very well.

Gary

Latest posts

Back