Sell health & cross sell life - could a nightmare happen?

Everytime I try to talk myself into cross-selling more life with my health clients I try to figure out what would happen in this "worst case scenario."

You're sitting with a client and sell him health. You also talk about life and write up an life app - schedule the paramed.

The health app is clean, no pre-ex conditions and it gets approved in a few days. Policy issued. The paramed pops by a few days later and about a week later results are in - extremely high cholesterol. Whether or not the the client accepts the table rating for life is irravelent.

Client receives his health insurance packet on Monday and Tuesday it's off to the doctor because of his high cholesterol.

Any takers on what happens to his health coverage?

Just write expensive graded-benefit life policies... They don't do a paramed...

I always start with Health, then move into Life. If there are some health issues, I try to begin with Convertible Term. I never turn in both apps at the same time. You might come across a surprise that may knock you, and the client, out of the water. You just did more harm then good.

Somarco made a very good point. You need to know how each carrier treats the prudent person and creditable coverage clauses.

Back