Selling Assurant Health?

japetta

I just received a contract to sell Assurant Health at 20% commission is the company any good for individual health insurance and can I get a higher comm somewhere else. I am new to selling health insurance. Thanks

I just received a contract to sell Assurant Health at 20% commission is the company any good for individual health insurance and can I get a higher comm somewhere else. I am new to selling health insurance. Thanks

Be careful shopping commission rates right now. I am an independent agent with contracts with 5 different health insurance companies. That includes Assurant. I have received warning letters from all 5 of them that commissions will be decreased in January. They are waiting until after tomorrow's NAIC meeting before they determine how much they will cut commissions in January.

I can only speak for about three states, but typically, their ST rates are good, HSA rates are decent and well...that's about it.

^This, except nobody even comes close to Anthem's STM rates in Virginia. Their OneDeductible HSA plan is occasionally competitive in more metropolitan areas, but very highly priced in rural areas.

Assurant is removing its 12 month coverage option. Can only buy up to 6 months at a time ST plans. Otherwise, business as usual - and they anticipate ST growing by leaps and bounds.

Of course, when you have those 5 year look back reasonably prudent person pre-x definitions, it can be a highly profitable block of business.

My suspicion is that one day more and more states will disallow that broad of a pre-x definition even on ST plans. One would hope so, actually.

And in fact, if Assurant and other companies were smart, they would start writing more and more "higher quality" ST plans with more regular pre-x definitions with the understanding that their risk is limited by the shelf-life of the policy.

:idea:

Back