Selling Life Insurance...

I'll Bite. How do you address their debt issue? Better yet, let's hear the solution to the lifestyle paradigm.

Now that credit markets are tightening up, it's not so easy to get a second on the house to pay off the credit cards or fund a WL policy.

I have not notice any tightening up of credit or home mortgage loans as long as equity is there and, a decent credit score.

The Paradigm is simple to grasp, either you look where everyone else is looking, the existing budget or address the budget. When you address the budget you don't look at the lifestyle, that is a no go, no one is biting on that, if they do they'll be over at Dave Ramsey's site.

First thing we have to understand is the simple fact that much of middle America is similiar, in that a vast majority have problems, first obvious problem is that there is no real savings, well not enough for retirement. That is plain and simple, yet they do hold assets, it is how they are managing those assets that are preventing them from saving a substantial amount. First thing you do is show them just how much they'll need to substain their lifestyle thru out their retirement. Just figure a 4% inflation rate, ask them what they are achieving in interest on savings and how much savings they have. It is a no brainer, rarely do I find anyone that has substantial amount saved or have enough that the growth of the money Vs inflation is going to be enough.

I just love this question, "Now that we know you don't have enough for retirement, if I can show you what you think is true, in fact is not, would you consider reviewing a plan that we will create for you?". Usually a few moments of comparing a paid off house vs a house not paid off but a large side account suffices to generate a great deal of interest. Now obviously, most will not run off and get a new mortgage and dump tons of money in a WL Policy, that is a new paradigm I had to go thru! Take the HELOC, now I can say everyone needs a HELOC! Does that mean everyone should be using the HELOC? Of course NOT but, having one in place does serve a great function, as in it gives the equity that the person has liquidity, which is a powerful thing do itself. Which is a key to the plan, security. The HELOC being in place allows them access to the money at a known cost any time in the future. So what does that do? Simple, they now can manipulate their rainy day fund, which on average runs from 5-30 grand for middle america.

Now that I have free up some money, I go after the "Cost of Aquisition", another words, I simply bring up that nasty little thing, how much they are paying for credit, likely its around 30% of their entire income. Let us forget that idea of 10% should be saved, if I can start repositioning that 30%, I can use conservative interest of 6-8% and beat anything you can do with 10%!

The paradigm is simple, look at the cost of living and not the lifestyle! Its late, I hope I was able to post this in some proper manner but, in a nutshell this is the beginning of the plan. Next, the various mortgages available to them, financing of that new car or boat is a great place to start, not the home.

Ok, interesting concept using the difference in interest paid to fund the policy. Do you use words like "arbitrage?"

I can see doing this, but I suspect resistance to pulling together the amount of interest paid on CC's and auto/boat/cycle. What are you saying that motivates them to gather the old cc statements?

Also, based on the discussion so far, these don't sound like business owners. How are you prospecting for homeowners?

Back in the 90's, there were a lot of people who advocated refinancing the house to invest in the stock market. People did this in droves, which drove the market up. Heck, get an 8% second, and invest in the market and get a 30% return. Good plan. Well, it turns out if you don't know what you are doing, things like March 2000 can come along and wipe you out.

Hey no problem, we can fix this. Your house is now worth more, refinance again, and invest in real estate. A 'safe' investment, real estate is booming. People did this, caused a nice bubble, then they found out what the term 'recast' means on their neg-am loan, and payments on the loan went from $300 a month to $1500 (or more) per month.

Shortly after this, it's still not a problem. The government is now lowering interest rates and sending out money to fix this problem.

My point in all of this? People for years have been advocating eroding the one true security blanket a lot of Americans used to have, the value of their home, and the equity they built up, in the name of having a brighter financial future. While it can be very rewarding financially, recommending this type of action should only be done by those qualified to make the recommendations, and with a complete plan in mind.

James - I admire your creativity.

I believe this type of advice should come from financial planners, people who have the training to pull this together in its entirety. People who have the licenses / certifications to do this. I fully realize a license does not make you qualified, and many people without licenses / certifications have more common sense than those with, but, when it comes to large money transactions and refinancing recommendations, I see to many people recommending it for very strange reasons.

In this case, it is usually better to have debt on the house than on credit cards, but only if you can manage it. If you just turn around and run up the credit cards again, you just end up further in debt.

While James has a great and creative idea, I seriously recommend people understand the full picture, and the individual prior to making this type of recommendation for clients.

Dan

As I mention in BOLD no less, obviously you miss it?

The paradigm is simple, look at the cost of living and not the lifestyle! Its late, I hope I was able to post this in some proper manner but, in a nutshell this is the beginning of the plan. Next, the various mortgages available to them, financing of that new car or boat is a great place to start, not the home.

As far as the Financial Planner goes, well they walk away from middle america some time ago and, I don't see nothing changing in that. So I don't know your point in that either?

Last edited:
Ok, interesting concept using the difference in interest paid to fund the policy. Do you use words like "arbitrage?"

I can see doing this, but I suspect resistance to pulling together the amount of interest paid on CC's and auto/boat/cycle. What are you saying that motivates them to gather the old cc statements?

Also, based on the discussion so far, these don't sound like business owners. How are you prospecting for homeowners?

I do both, either/or really. If you want to hit homeowners look for neighborhoods you see signs of the demographics you're looking for. Hit it hard with mailers, such as flyers, brochures even walking if you feel like some exercise.

If you actually get them looking at the whole amount of interest they are paying then that usually is motivation for them to act to at least see what you are offering.

... and, I don't see nothing changing in that. So I don't know your point in that either?

"I don't see anything changing..."

Please try to use correct grammar on the board. We're (supposed to be) professionals... and professionals do not use double negatives in their public business dissertations. In private and when speaking with a client, I can understand. But when you are writing to a group of other professionals I think you want to sound as educated as you can.

Coach Bear Byrant of Alabama once had a freshman running back who in his first game took the ball and ran 30 yards for a score. Well, the boy jumped up and down, did cart-wheels and summersaults and an Irish "jig" dance in the end zone. His team had to 'drag' him back to the sideline. When he got back to the bench the old coach took the boy aside and said "Son, here is a life-lesson. When you get to the end-zone... try to act like you've been there before!" :yes:

Al
InsuranceSolutions123 Agency

As I mention in BOLD no less, obviously you miss it?

As far as the Financial Planner goes, well they walk away from middle america some time ago and, I don't see nothing changing in that. So I don't know your point in that either?

James - I obviously misread your post, let me ask for clarification, what does the following paragraph refer to?

Now obviously, most will not run off and get a new mortgage and dump tons of money in a WL Policy, that is a new paradigm I had to go thru! Take the HELOC, now I can say everyone needs a HELOC! Does that mean everyone should be using the HELOC? Of course NOT but, having one in place does serve a great function, as in it gives the equity that the person has liquidity, which is a powerful thing do itself. Which is a key to the plan, security. The HELOC being in place allows them access to the money at a known cost any time in the future. So what does that do? Simple, they now can manipulate their rainy day fund, which on average runs from 5-30 grand for middle america.

If this isn't recommending someone extend credit on their house, I'm not sure what it is. In general, I agree with your philosophy of paying 7% on a home loan rather than 20% on a credit card, makes sense.

A statement of financial planners won't work with this crowd (which isn't accurate) does not make it open for others to provide advice without providing a plan. Now, this is my opinion, legally there may not be anything wrong with it, just I've seen to many people give bad advice because they don't take the time to understand the clients goals and to work towards the clients goals rather than their own personal goals.

Dan

A statement of financial planners won't work with this crowd (which isn't accurate) does not make it open for others to provide advice without providing a plan. Now, this is my opinion, legally there may not be anything wrong with it, just I've seen to many people give bad advice because they don't take the time to understand the clients goals and to work towards the clients goals rather than their own personal goals.

Dan

Well, go out there and show me all those financial planners that are prospecting the middle class. I'm sure we can find exceptions but, that is about what it amounts to, exceptions. As for the legality and ethics charge you are trying to make in a off handed way, well that's not here nor there.

Back