Selling locally (re:online sales)

You can read and touch an on-line brochure through a program called "go to meeting" that I will conduct with the client. Yes, we are talking about purchasing insurance on-line, you would be suprised 9/10 actually prefer this method.

No agent comes to your house we can take care of your insurance needs in a few short minutes. Why, would you not wanna do it this way?

This is the information age, people want something and they want it now at the highest level of convenience they can get it at. I'm not disagreeing that online and over the phone are effective or preferred methods. I would prefer to sell this way, i was simply asking for clarification on how this is done. If it came off differently then please excuse me.

How does something like "go to meeting" work? Is it a website?

Last edited:
Yes, it has a website www.gotomeeting.com It is an on-line web meeting used for sales presentation, and conference calls. small monthly fee.

Sure, will you from time to time have people that you must still go see face to face. The majority gone be done via, phone and email though.

This is the information age, people want something and they want it now at the highest level of convenience they can get it at. I'm not disagreeing that online and over the phone are effective or preferred methods. I would prefer to sell this way, i was simply asking for clarification on how this is done. If it came off differently then please excuse me.

How does something like "go to meeting" work? Is it a website?

It's kinda scary how quickly some people will give you their social and banking information...

I still sell occasionally without the desktop share. I will normally send them a brochure to go over while I talking with them, but there is the occasional sale where the application is not physically looking at the outline and they have purchased. It's all about rapport.

First you should try to sell to friends and family. You already have a relationship with them. If you have a product that fits their needs there is your first sale. Then ask them if they know anyone else interested.

Website is key. Budget?
Hire a firm to build it and then hire someone else to do your SEO. Few web developers have any clue of true SEO.
For your SEO to start hitting might take 6 months so keep that in mind. When it does hit start working the leads. Generate indiviudal health quotes over the phone and email them to your prospect so they have something to look at. Send them summery of benefits too. With email applications most of these sales can be done over the phone. Now every now and then you have someone that wants to meet and you should meet them.

knock on doors
Go out 4 times a month and knock on small business. Look for companies that would not have a group health plan.
When I first started I had lots of success with Hair Salons.
One time I walked in and ended up writing 9 policies in one Salon. THey all got approved too.

A lot of agents buy web leads. I generate my own so I am sure someone else can chime in on that aspect.

Last thing I can add is know your products. Its very important you know the plans you are selling inside and out.

My plans are to sell exclusively in my home state and not venture outside the state at first. So am I better off NOT selling over the phone via leads from my website (I don't actually have a website yet, but will in the near future) or since I'm only selling inside my state am I better off selling face to face?

I will be selling Life & Health. No P&C.

If you don't have a lot of leads, which you won't at first, go see them in person if they are in reasonable driving distance. Your closing rate will be higher in face-to-face contact and your premiums will be larger. I've talked with several big sell-over-the phone agencies. About 1/4 of the apps you mail out do NOT get returned. They change their minds, misplace it, etc.

There are several sell-by-phone courses you can buy--Dean Cipriano, Dayne Vickers, Mark Meuer that I have seen discussed on this board. I have Cipriano's life insurance and like it. It's good but was written before the internet took off (he was doing fax blasting which is illegal now) so it doesn't have the internet followup, quote engine, etc.

Back