Selling Medicare, Life & Health Plans in a Retail Setting... Good Deal for an Agent?

Northeast Agent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Pennsylvania
I am NOT contracted with Gordon Marketing, nor am I located in any of the States listed below, but I do listen to some of their webinars and subscribe to their emails.

Saw this today and wanted to know, do you think this could be a good deal for an agent in one of these areas? I've heard GM is hard to get released from, though:

Attention:Missouri & Texas Agents

If you are looking for a full or part time, salary + commission position selling Medicare, Life and Health plans in a retail setting. Contact[email protected]

401(k), health insurance and other benefits!
We are looking for agents certified to sell MAPD and able to get contracted (or released from your current contracts) to start working immediately.

9-5 M-F and weekends available
Missouri:
Kansas City, Springfield, Joplin, Neosho, Rolla.

Texas:
Lancaster, Grand Prairie and Dallas

Florida:
Coming Soon

Just taking about the business concept and not the FMO..

It’s all about getting traffic, are they setting up appointments that are going to keep you busy all day?

"It’s all about getting traffic, are they setting up appointments that are going to keep you busy all day?"

I doubt that. They'll probably say if people see you at the same place regularly, they'll get to know you, will count on you being there and will get comfortable with you.

It's the same thing when you're trying to break in with senior centers, low-income buildings, etc. Be there the same day/time every week and build a clientele that way.

Retail foot traffic can work for some products, not for others.

Allstate had booths in Sears stores. The guys that worked those booths made good money. But that was a transactional sale (home, auto, etc) and was 40+ years ago.

Around the same time an agent in Chattanooga tried to duplicate. Sold car, home and term life. Did OK when he was open. Not so much when closed.

He was a one man shop.

I think his booth in the mall sidewalk lasted a year, maybe a bit longer.

I don't think I have ever heard of Humana agents getting rich sitting in a booth in Walmart.

If this was a successful model for MA more carriers, agency's and agents would be doing it. MA is not a transactional sale. Even if you take the time to talk to a qualified prospect it probably won't be a one "call" close. What happens when they come back and it is not your shift?

I don't think I have ever heard of Humana agents getting rich sitting in a booth in Walmart.

If this was a successful model for MA more carriers, agency's and agents would be doing it. MA is not a transactional sale. Even if you take the time to talk to a qualified prospect it probably won't be a one "call" close. What happens when they come back and it is not your shift?

99% of the agents that Humana stations in booths at Walmart are people who are hoping someday to be professional insurance sales people and in reality have not a clue what they are doing.They don't know what they are doing and that is the only reason why they don't succeed. If you are going to sit in one of those booths you need to know that what you are doing is prospecting. Once you get a prospect to sit down and talk to you at that booth your goal should be to get his name and phone number. Once you got them a little interested and you have their name and number you wish them a good day. A few days later you attempt to call them and set an appointment for a real sales call at their house. You don't sit around Walmart waiting for them to come back.

The problem is no successful insurance agent in their right mind with two dollars to their name wants to be seen sitting in a booth at Walmart selling anything! That is why I have never ever walked into a Walmart and seen a successful agent sitting in one of those booths. We would rather buy expensive leads and cold call or drop dead then be seen begging for food at a booth in Walmart!

Back