Several Health Insurer Merger Talks Are In Progress.

item_2398.jpg

I'll take a stab at it, from trying to keep track of everything in the news this week...

- Anthem wants Cigna or Humana ($47 billion bid for Cigna being rebuffed)
- Cigna might bid for Humana to defend itself from Anthem or Aetna
- Aetna might bid for Humana (more likely if Anthem takes over Cigna)
- UHC might bid for (more likely) Aetna or (less likely) Cigna, but not Humana

Once first deal happens, second one will follow to turn big 5 into big 3. Or not.

July 6, 2015

It's interesting that Aetna's CEO told the justice department that the Aetna purchase of Humana could be part of a bigger deal that's in the works. It's speculated Bertolini is saying that United Healthcare will register to buy Aetna/Humana. The justice department will be able to approve/deny that 3-some merger as a single transaction..or something like that.

Anyway, there are several articles this week describing the back-room intrigues, strategies, and potential snags. Here's one of the easiest to read..

Deal-Related Jitters Hit Humana, Aetna - NASDAQ.com

Also, I didn't know that Humana was (secretly?) negotiating with Aetna, Cigna and Anthem simultaneously. Obviously, Aetna offered the best buyout deal.
ac

AC, how do you and Yagents find the time to locate and read all this stuff? Do you ever sleep?

As for the merger speculation as it relates to the Justice Dept (antitrust), consider this.

If the carriers WANT to get out of a line of business (and most of them do, at least the IFP portion), isn't it better to approve a merger/sale vs just letting them go away?

The smaller players like World, Celtic, etc. got out before Ocare hit it's stride. No big deal, they were minor players but they saw the writing on the wall.

Assurant was destined to follow suit and frankly I am surprised they even played in the Ocare market for the last 2 years.

Carrier compression is happening and will continue regardless of whether DOJ approves the mergers or not.

Back