Should I Be Making More? Stay in the Insurance World?

PCInsGuy

I currently have my P&C license and have had it for almost 3 years. I have been working for an independent agency for that same amount of time. Doing mostly auto and home. I am at a point now where money is everything and I need to make more of it. :swoon: I wanted to know if what I am looking for is realistic. I work right now pretty much as a CSR and producer. I sell and service policies, take payments, endorsements manage daily financials, all that. I make 12.50 an hour, no commission. No benefits. My background before this was retail management making really good money but the hours were killing. I like the mon-fri 9-5 but I want to be bring home at least 600-700 a week plus health insurance. Is that realistic for someone with 3 years P&C experience? Thanks!

Of course it is realistic. If you're good at sales I would suggest you take on more of a true producer role in the agency and not mess with the service side.

Working CSR isn't going to get you anymore money. However, if you find an agency owner that can incorporate a bonus structure when you CROSS SELL, maybe it can help out. Check around other agencies and their CSR to compare pay structure.

If you have money saved and if you feel you can do it. Start going out on your own. Research and call up a few clusters to see if you can get an appointment with them. Go to the P&C section and read up on clusters.

It really depends on where you are. In some areas what you're getting paid is just about right. No reason you can't look around and see what other agencies might be willing to offer you. You might also want to talk to the agency owner about taking a more active role in the agency as a producer. If your efforts can bring more commissions into the agency, no reason it wouldn't be good business for him to be able to pay you more (based on production of course).

$12.50 hr with no bennies and no commission or bonus of any kind is low balling you in my view.
$500 per week and a piece of what you bring in is typical of what I've seen around.
Also,you should be able to find agency owners who will give you 50% of whatever life you cross sell, making that a pretty good all around deal.

I would dare say that any sales job will pay you better than a $12.50 an hour rate. What you have to ask yourself is can you go out and find business? If you have been sitting in an office with inbound calls & retail with inbound customers, it is a different world. It is not for everybody. You really have to evaluate risking what you make now as a guarantee vs what you could potentially make.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I enjoy the administrative aspect of insurance so I am looking for more of a CSR/Account Manager type position. I looked around my area and it seems salaries for those types of positions range from 32-35 a year with benefits which is about what I am looking for. We'll see I guess.. lol

Back