Should I consider second E&O Policy

Jun 20, 2008

1. Norwayguy

Norwayguy I have spent way too much time here.

State:
    Maine
    Okay,

I am required by my B/D to carry their E&O policy to the tune of $1200 per year with a Rep deductible of $5000, My concern is that if a group of reps with no relationship to me get hit for the annual limit of the policy then I have a claim after the limit is hit that I would have no coverage. Okay so I think about getting my own E&O coverage but I'm no sure if there would be coordination of benefits and if I would just be wasting my money. Does anyone know the answers to this.​

2. Steve

Steve Super Genius

Read your policy. I'd bet your limit is for you as an individual, no matter what happens to other reps through the same b/d. But I've been known to make bad bets...

Steve, Jun 20, 2008
  3. bobson

bobson Guru

You my friend are wise. I bet, unlike Steve, that you are seeing things correctly. The E&O policy will have an annual aggregate limit for the entire BD. If that limit is used up before your claim, you will be SOL.

But double check with the E&O policy as I have never read one that covers a BD.

As far as coordination of benefits... my guess is that your own policy would pay after the limits of the BD policy were exhausted. I'm not taking a bet on that though.

bobson, Jun 20, 2008
  4. Steve

Steve Super Genius

You may be right, but then my question is: "Why would the broker/dealer require this inadequate policy instead of simply requiring each rep to have "x" levels of coverage?"

Read the policy!

Steve, Jun 20, 2008
  5. Norwayguy

State:
    Maine
    I Guess I'm going to ask NAPA about how a second policy would pay because I am write about the aggregate from the declaration page

Item 3 Limit of Liability

A Coverage A3 1 mil each loss including defense cost
    5 mil aggregate for all loss including defense
    cost

skipping to coverage C

C Policy Aggregate
    5 mil for all loss (including defense cost)
    arising from all claims under this policy in
    Aggregate

So I already know this is more to cover the B/D then it is to me, I was just wondering if there would be coordination of benefits.

6. Steve

Steve Super Genius

But who is the named insured? The b/d and all reps, or you? If you are the only named insured on the policy, it's reading as an aggregate of 5 mil. for you. Isn't it?

Steve, Jun 20, 2008
  7. Norwayguy

State:
    Maine
    No in this case its a policy covering the B/D and the reps so the 5mil is aggregate of all claims against B/D and Reps

8. Steve

Steve Super Genius

Thanks. It's hard to guess without seeing. I just wanted to make sure you were on the right track.

Steve, Jun 20, 2008