Sketchy or Not? Seeking Advice!

If you explain why you're giving the two weeks, I doubt he'll want you around the full two weeks.

My biggest concern with not giving 2 weeks notice is that my Boss is very well known in our town and held at a very high regard. I am worried he will get me black-listed or something and try to smear my name around town making it difficult to find another job here. We are a bit torn on what I should do... I am half expecting he will show me the door anyway, and if not, I don't plan on signing anything else...

If you have enough evidence, you can turn it completely around by reporting him to the state department of insurance and the companies he represents for an investigation.

He's the one doing wrong in the community... not you.

If you will only get caught 1% of the time, make sure you sell under 100 policies in your career. Or under a thousand if it's only 0.1%.

When you quit make him think you are still on good terms. This could be the kind of person who will stab you in the back on the way out the door.

You should always do the right thing regardless how it impacts you. But it is easier when making or missing the next sale doesn't affect your lifestyle.

Sell a bunch of policies and you will have fewer moral dilemmas.

The only problem with that reasoning is you never know which one will be the 1%... It may be the first one you write.. then it is 100%,,

I definitely have proof for the Bid Bond, if you think that is one of the legitimate concerns... because there is no bond approved behind it. At least not yet. And even if we end up doing it the right way after the fact the date of approval won't match the date of the bid bond form I wrote up. I still don't feel I understand enough about all of the Surety side of things but it sure didn't seem like the right thing to do.

Besides that, I'm not sure what proof I have for actual fraud. One of the Insurance Companies I spoke with about another issue actually brought up his name to me and told me they are "aware" of some of what he has been trying to do". They said there have been several instances of him trying to "underinsure". He will do things like, cross through the insurance limit on a Policy and write in an amount, such as 30-50% less and ask me to send it in and request the company to lower the coverage. Another instance was when an Insured admitted to me that they weren't reporting they did roofing (or hired out subcontractors) and that they were just "doing what he, my boss, told them to do" to save money. But that was all verbal.

Those are just a few of the "little" things that started to make me wonder but they weren't so "out there" that I wasn't sure how bad, if at all, it really was. And then as I learned more about insurance along the way and those feelings of unease didn't go away but have been only growing until the last incident with the Bid Bond and that reeeeally didn't sit well. So, I don't know if I've really got enough on him..

----------

The only problem with that reasoning is you never know which one will be the 1%... It may be the first one you write.. then it is 100%,,

Exactly!! A scary reality!!

----------

If you explain why you're giving the two weeks, I doubt he'll want you around the full two weeks.

Very true! I think that is very possible. I was thinking, to avoid as much back stabbing as possible I will try to keep my reasoning simple as "this is not a good fit for me". But there is the other part of me that wants to try and confront.

I definitely have proof for the Bid Bond, if you think that is one of the legitimate concerns... because there is no bond approved behind it. At least not yet. And even if we end up doing it the right way after the fact the date of approval won't match the date of the bid bond form I wrote up. I still don't feel I understand enough about all of the Surety side of things but it sure didn't seem like the right thing to do.

Besides that, I'm not sure what proof I have for actual fraud. One of the Insurance Companies I spoke with about another issue actually brought up his name to me and told me they are "aware" of some of what he has been trying to do". They said there have been several instances of him trying to "underinsure". He will do things like, cross through the insurance limit on a Policy and write in an amount, such as 30-50% less and ask me to send it in and request the company to lower the coverage. Another instance was when an Insured admitted to me that they weren't reporting they did roofing (or hired out subcontractors) and that they were just "doing what he, my boss, told them to do" to save money. But that was all verbal.

Those are just a few of the "little" things that started to make me wonder but they weren't so "out there" that I wasn't sure how bad, if at all, it really was. And then as I learned more about insurance along the way and those feelings of unease didn't go away but have been only growing until the last incident with the Bid Bond and that reeeeally didn't sit well. So, I don't know if I've really got enough on him..

----------

Exactly!! A scary reality!!

----------

Very true! I think that is very possible. I was thinking, to avoid as much back stabbing as possible I will try to keep my reasoning simple as "this is not a good fit for me". But there is the other part of me that wants to try and confront.

I agree with you... It will be best to move out as smoothly as possible. If you confront him, then he is going to try to destroy your credibility around town because he will assume that you will let everybody know you are a crook. Just tell him you have decided this job is not for you and that you are going to look for something you will be happy doing..

I definitely have proof for the Bid Bond, if you think that is one of the legitimate concerns... because there is no bond approved behind it. At least not yet.

Counterfeit, forgery, fabricated = fraudulent.

Here is an example:
https://www.insurance.ca.gov/0400-news/0100-press-releases/2016/release069-16.cfm

GARDEN GROVE, Calif. — Robert Meseer, 63, of Westminster, was arrested by California Department of Insurance investigators on 32 felony counts of grand theft, insurance fraud, and forgery after acting as an insurance agent to allegedly steal more than $140,000 from several business owners.

[...]

After receiving a referral from a business owner who discovered Meseer had issued them a bogus insurance certificate listing a nonexistent insurance company, the Department of Insurance Investigation Division launched an investigation.

This ain't no joke or a light matter.

I'm not telling you that you have to report him. You just need to leave.

----------

https://www.insurance.ca.gov/0400-news/0100-press-releases/2014/release111-14.cfm

BURBANK, Calif. - Mitchell Kaady, 62, doing business as RCI Electrical Design, was arrested on multiple felony charges including forgery, false personation and filing forged documents in a public office. Kaady surrendered in Los Angeles Superior Court on September 4, 2014. Kaady allegedly forged notary documentation and submitted illegitimate bonds to receive a state contract valued at $187,517.

Here is an idea:

When you resign, OFFER to work 1 or 2 weeks further. That way its on him and he cant be mad at you for it.

Tell him "if you think you need me for 1 or 2 weeks then Im willing to work out a 1 or 2 week notice.... but if you dont need me, then Id prefer to make this my last day".

Chances are, he wont take you up on the offer. But chances are he wont bad mouth you (too bad) either way.

I used to do this in the restaurant industry when I found a new job. Id offer to give them 2 weeks... but hoped they would tell me dont bother... LOL. Only 1 out of 4 ever took me up on the offer; and it was the one that I actually did not mind giving the 2 weeks.

The caveat to this is if he takes you up on the offer, then you need to refuse to do anything illegal if it comes up. Chances are he probably will not ask you for anything else like that if you are leaving. But refuse any illegal acts. Your future is not worth throwing away for someone else, especially someone like this.

Last edited:

----------

Thank you for the helpful articles. Tomorrow will be an interesting day. I appreciate everyone's input!

----------

Thank you for the helpful articles. Tomorrow will be an interesting day. I appreciate everyone's input!

Clearly you need to get away from this crook. I think we are all looking forward to you having a departure that is as clean as possible. Any updates?

Thank you! I am looking forward to being finished at this place too. I'm sorry I have not given an update yet. I did give notice on Monday and they are wanting me to stay the 2 weeks. I did not say why I am leaving beside the "it's just not a good fit for me" since I'm trying to leave as peaceful as possible. However, the situation has transpired a bit; the "Bid Bond" he had me type up was the winning Bid, believe it or not! So now the County may try to Verify the bond. So I don't know what is about to happen when and if they find out there is no bond behind it. I am going to try and get my boss on recording telling me that he has "the authority to say that it's approved". That way if it backfires on me I will hopefully have something to prove it was not my idea. If I am able to get that recording I may go ahead and contact the Surety Company and make them aware of the situation. But these are a bunch of "ifs". I tried to call anonymously to the State's Insurance Commissioners Office but unfortunately, they could offer me no help on the Bond situation and said all I could do was file a complaint against my boss but otherwise they couldn't help or advise me :(

I will try to update again soon.

Back