Special Commercial Property Form VS All Risk

insurance1822

Guru
1000 Post Club
I thought these two were synonymous anymore. I had an insured get a claim died (cleanup for somebody who deceased in her building..) and her "lawyer" is telling her she should have had "all risk" insurance.

They're on a special form commercial policy.

Is this a lawyer talking out of his @$$?

Pollutant exclusion & seepage exclusion. The person passed away on their couch, and apparently much of the cost was to remove/dispose of that couch. The person also decomposed through the couch into the flooring which was about 30% of the cost. Total cost 18k.

Apparently in my state this has been taking to the state supreme court where the state sided w/ the insurer, but that was Lloyds who's pollution exclusion was pretty specific whereby in this case the CP pollution exclusion doesn't really seem relevant to what happened here. It's BS

So they called the dead body a pollutant? If so, that's great if property was written on an ISO form with Special cause of loss. The insurer should pick that up, as long as a decomposing body wasn't specifically named as an excluded peril and the damaged property was the insured's property.

Back