MattUK

Hello,

So I got a speeding ticket this morning in MO. My check engine light came on, so I panicked and sped up a little to go around the vehicle next to me and pull of the highway to see what was up. Unfortunately in the same spot I decided to speed up and pass the other vehicle to pull off, a cop had decided to pull me over for doing 80 in a 65. I did not tell the cop about my check engine light, as I have never been pulled over before, I am in the US on a green card and was pretty nervous. He took my license/insurance and gave me a ticket with court date and said I can pay it outside of court.

My car is registered in my wife's name, and is on my wife's insurance through Geico. We took out the policy 6 weeks ago. I am telling her when she gets home from work today and I am happy to pay all fines related to this, as it was my fault. I am currently driving on a Temporary Drivers Privilege as I couldn't renew last month, but can now (it is valid for use, even the cop said it was).

Will this affect our insurance premium? I am just a named driver. Also, if I take myself off her insurance, would it still affect her premium? I would pay any additional on the premium, but I don't want her to suffer for my mistakes.

If I go to Traffic School with this prevent our premium from rising? I am happy to pay the fines, but I just don't want our premium to go up. My wife is a fairly easy to anger woman and I am already dreading telling her all of this tonight.

I should note I have a clean license, I have never been pulled over in my life and had got a 98/100 on my test.

Thanks

Can't speak to ALL insurance company procedures but if you are already on the policy as a driver your MVR has already been pulled. The ticket SHOULD NOT adversely affect your premium because your insurance carrier won't pull your driving record again for some time. I would make sure the ticket is paid and not fight it in court. The check engine light will not help you dispute the speed or situation. Keep your head down and use your cruise control for the next 3 years instead of going to Traffic School. Many states only allow the Traffic School visit once every so many years and you want to save that use until you really need it.

I know that here in California, yes, taking traffic school will get it removed from your record, and thus will not affect your premium. You can only do that once every year or two.

That was at least true here in California the last time I got a speeding ticket about 15 years ago. Oddly enough I have been able to talk my way out of each of several tickets since then. Turns out if you are immediately co operative, friendly, and admit your mistake, you will come out ahead in almost every situation. Usually.

Anyone please feel free to correct me on laws as they pertain to MO.

Can't speak to ALL insurance company procedures but if you are already on the policy as a driver your MVR has already been pulled. The ticket SHOULD NOT adversely affect your premium because your insurance carrier won't pull your driving record again for some time. I would make sure the ticket is paid and not fight it in court. The check engine light will not help you dispute the speed or situation. Keep your head down and use your cruise control for the next 3 years instead of going to Traffic School. Many states only allow the Traffic School visit once every so many years and you want to save that use until you really need it.

Thank you for your reply, this is what I had assumed too. I don't generally speed, I have occasionally gone 5-10 over like everyone else but never major or in neighborhoods etc. I'm assuming Geico probably won't pull my record until April next year when it's due for renewal. If at that point the premium rises I'll either offer to pay the additional rise through my wife or go it alone on my own insurance. I guess I just lucked out today, driving back down the same stretch an hour later were another 5-6 people pulled over.

I know that here in California, yes, taking traffic school will get it removed from your record, and thus will not affect your premium. You can only do that once every year or two.

That was at least true here in California the last time I got a speeding ticket about 15 years ago. Oddly enough I have been able to talk my way out of each of several tickets since then. Turns out if you are immediately co operative, friendly, and admit your mistake, you will come out ahead in almost every situation. Usually.

Anyone please feel free to correct me on laws as they pertain to MO.

Thanks for replying, as soon as I saw the flashing lights I pulled straight over safely, rolled down the passenger window etc and was completely polite throughout as there is nothing to gain by being rude or argumentative. I figure the best way to handle it would be to tell my wife tonight, pay the fees in court (I have the option to pay out of court at the counter or by phone), and take the slap on the wrist.

I have re-examined my dashcam footage of the incident just now, and the cop isn't even looking at me/my vehicle and is actually riding at I'd say 20mph in the shoulder. Would this be grounds for anything?

No, most probably not. The vehicle in front of you was probably slower than you because they saw the patrol car and you pulled out to pass it. If the check engine light comes on why would you decide to speed up in order to pull off the road? The engine light could have been something simple like your gas cap wasn't screwed on right.
Police are allowed to estimate speed even if they haven't paced you or gotten a reading from a radar. He sees vehicles all day long and can guess at the speed. You are fortunate that he didn't write you at 20 MPH over the limit or you could be looking at reckless driving. Pay the fine and use your cruise control. In my state you would be looking at a 4 point penalty which will take 2-3 years of good driving to erase. Been there, done that. Erased 9 points over 3 years

No, most probably not. The vehicle in front of you was probably slower than you because they saw the patrol car and you pulled out to pass it. If the check engine light comes on why would you decide to speed up in order to pull off the road? The engine light could have been something simple like your gas cap wasn't screwed on right.
Police are allowed to estimate speed even if they haven't paced you or gotten a reading from a radar. He sees vehicles all day long and can guess at the speed. You are fortunate that he didn't write you at 20 MPH over the limit or you could be looking at reckless driving. Pay the fine and use your cruise control. In my state you would be looking at a 4 point penalty which will take 2-3 years of good driving to erase. Been there, done that. Erased 9 points over 3 years

Vehicle in front was a little faster than I was, but he I guess chose to ignore them. The car has had a history of the check engine light coming on because of a very rare/occasional ECU connection to the transmission and it then locks in whatever gear it's in so I wanted to get off the road ASAP to deal with it. I've only had the car a few months so far and have yet to take care of it. I guess it's made itself to the top of my to do list now.

Will this affect our insurance premium?

Some companies charge for 1 ticket, some don't. You'll have to wait for your next renewal to find out.

I am just a named driver.

The experience of all the driver's on the policy effect the rates.

Also, if I take myself off her insurance, would it still affect her premium?

You don't want to do that. You're still a member of the household. If you take yourself off the policy to avoid paying any surcharge, that's concealment/fraud and she could lose the policy. Worse, have a claim denied.

If I go to Traffic School with this prevent our premium from rising?

I don't know. Insurance premiums always seem to go up. Will it avoid a surcharge? Yes, because it will be dismissed after traffic school so it doesn't appear on your record. I always recommend taking traffic school if you are eligible. Just make sure you don't make any mistakes for the next 36 months which is the eligibility period in Missouri.

My wife is a fairly easy to anger woman and I am already dreading telling her all of this tonight.

We all have our bears to cross. :yes:

If at that point the premium rises I'll either offer to pay the additional rise through my wife or go it alone on my own insurance.

You don't want to do that either. With two cars in the household you get a multi-car discount, which is substantial. Get your own policy and you lose that discount.

I have re-examined my dashcam footage of the incident just now, and the cop isn't even looking at me/my vehicle and is actually riding at I'd say 20mph in the shoulder. Would this be grounds for anything?

No. He's prepared to testify in court that he saw you and clocked you. Your video may have caught him at the moment he looked away to pay attention to his own driving.

I wanted to get off the road ASAP to deal with it.

Speeding up is NEVER the way to address anything that happens on the road. Slowing down is always better, no matter what.

Back