Starting at Sterling Health Plans

fmlaban

I have an interview with Sterling Health Plans in Bloomington, Il. I am new to health insurance, but am expecting a degree in health information management in May. I was wondering if the position of agent is strickly commission based or if there were some type of salary. I also was wondering if work was mostly completed at home or if they provide you an office. There office does not seem big, so I take it not all agents are there. Thanks for any help you can offer.

I previously worked for Sterling Health Plans in Bloomington, both as an agent and a Field Sales Manager. Everyone left......Unless you like calling from a credit bureau list...
Commission only....
They have started recruiting from the top down....the sales office, where the agents are will hold about 10 agents...that is all....there are never many there, as many of them only come in for mandatory meetings....
Good luck...

Thanks. I was hoping that there would be a base rate. At least I know this now rather than later...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Just wondering, do they compensate you for training?

Last edited:
I worked for them last year. It was a horrible experience. But part of that came down to the the culture at the office I was working in. And a field service manager who was a complete jerk.

There is no salary. It is basically a commission job. They have a points system for sales. If you sell enough plans, you will get a $1000 monthly bonus that decreases over time until renewals kick in. But since the commissions are very low, you would still most likely be better off elsewhere. I know they were talking of going to computers, but they had not yet. My office had one computer used by the secretary. So do not expect to use your degree.

The corporate training is fine. I enjoyed the week in Washington. But when I got into the field, it became a nightmare. First off, in the interview, they promised leads. They give you something called the Gold Sheet. It is basically a recycled cold calling list. So basically you are calling people who were called about two months earlier. There are turning 65 lists but in my office, those pretty much went two a few of the Senior Agents who also got all the Direct Mail and advertising response leads.

You were expected to spend Tuesdays and Fridays in the office, and the rest of the week in the field. I would also do some calling from home evenings and on Saturdays.

And they did not want you to qualify any of the appointments either. So on most of the appointments, you would get there and not have the opportunity to sell them anything due to their age, health or they are not in an enrollment period. That will mean a lot of wasted gas.

It is also very seasonal. So right now, with the exception of turning 65, you are going to be limited in selling Advantage Plans since most people are locked in. And the pricing of the Sterling Plans is not all the competitive. There is no zero premium plan. There are cheaper med sups out there.

My office had some United American Cancer, Critical Illness and final expense plans you could sell. We also have a UA Major Med Plan & Whole Life that we could sell, but it was not all that competitive. So expect several pretty lean months. Ask what other products are available for you since that will be different by state.

And like I said, it will be very seasonal. If you were starting in September and would be ready open enrollment, I think you could do OK. But right now, it will not be easy and you are looking at a long six months until Open Enrollment.

I have an interview with Sterling Health Plans in Bloomington, Il. I am new to health insurance, but am expecting a degree in health information management in May. I was wondering if the position of agent is strickly commission based or if there were some type of salary. I also was wondering if work was mostly completed at home or if they provide you an office. There office does not seem big, so I take it not all agents are there. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Sterling is constantly hiring and churning through agents. Look elsewhere. You can do better.

I went there last week and almost signed up and told them I wanted to only write the final expense and they told me no- that I would have to sell med supps. Not life only, which is what I like to sell.

Back