Still Selling Innovative Plan F? The State of CA doesn't think you should

Aside from the fact that Innovative Plan F skirts the birthday rule, there are other issues with it.
Why do you think it's cheaper than a traditional Plan F?
Here's the bill that is being discussed/voted on by the CA state legislature.
When I talked to one of my reps about this she said that it would kill Silver Sneakers freebies.
Not true since these are not embedded in the plan (just ask the AARP/UHC clients who lost their Silver Sneakers plans).
Here's a copy of the bill for your enjoyment:
http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201920200SB407

Aside from the fact that Innovative Plan F skirts the birthday rule, there are other issues with it.
When I talked to one of my reps about this she said that it would kill Silver Sneakers freebies.
Not true since these are not embedded in the plan (just ask the AARP/UHC clients who lost their Silver Sneakers plans).
http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201920200SB407
As I recall, the Innovative Plan F starts out as an HDF the 1st 2-3 years. That's why it would be cheaper. :yes:

Well, if the carrier is required to bill separately for additional plan features, they would no longer be free.

I believe there was a thread on this

If I remember correctly the premiums go up very high after it converts

Probably more like 2-3 threads since 2016. And yes, agent forum members did not see the Plan F premium as competitive with other Plans F, after the conversion from HiF to conventional F.

As I recall, the Innovative Plan F starts out as an HDF the 1st 2-3 years. That's why it would be cheaper. :yes:

Innovative F Plans (F Extra with Blue Shield CA) are regular Plan F with the added non-Medicare benefits (hearing, vision, etc.). They are cheaper because the pool is either new to Medicare or subject to underwriting (Health Net is the exception as they allow birthday rule transfers from regular F).

Innovative F Plans (F Extra with Blue Shield CA) are regular Plan F with the added non-Medicare benefits (hearing, vision, etc.). They are cheaper because the pool is either new to Medicare or subject to underwriting (Health Net is the exception as they allow birthday rule transfers from regular F).
That one's different. Must be state specific.

Medicare Supplement Insurance | Comparison Chart of Available Plans

There's a link to the physicians mutual table showing the one we were talking about.

(And I may have been wrong about more than one thread on it because I was also thinking about a different company's HDF plan that gets discussed from time to time.

Looking out on the internet, it looks like there also may have actually been at least one thread about the California plan in the forums here. )

Back