STM and Proposed Changes

Discussion in 'Health Care Reform Forum' started by bluemarlin08, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Yagents

Yagents Well-Known Member

State:
    Arizona
    ACA projects income, so you need to project 2017 income. (and then 2018).
    ACA has nothing to do with last years' income.

If $0 is projected, and medicaid not available, then take an IRA distribution to create income legally, and get a highly subsidized ACA CSR low deductible plan.

That's what some of my clients do. 1 client took out $24k from IRA, and I matched it with $24k of tax credits, final price is $30 for both of them. That is how the game is legally played. A shame, and part of the law that needs fixing. This guy has 1.5 million in his IRA. The nation now owes $20,000,000,024,000

2. kgmom219

kgmom219 Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    What he said.

Plus, if he just lost his job, projected 2017 income includes 3 months of salary. Plus unemployment (?) should get him above the 100% or 138% of FPL depending on the state.

When does he turn 65?

3. junkman

junkman Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    And, since current year income hasn't been received, any number entered on,an app is an estimate. Carriers won return premium retro to the effective date when determined to be ineligible in October of the next year when taxes are filed timely at time of automatic extension. By 10/15, you have 10 months gone. Rinse and repeat.

One person I know intends to get a divorce, pay his x to shift income, take a subsidy on self and goes on Medicare in a couple of years and intends to remarry his ex and go on vacation. Lots of hoops but saves money.
    We have a cluster ****.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  4. yorkriver1

yorkriver1 Well-Known Member

State:

:twitchy:We have to the Tax Credit whisperers in so many situations, and why we get paid zero to $15 pmpm. . What I find scary is the kind of "deal with it" attitude of taking us back to the glory days of pre-existing waivers as the holy grail to save us. Allen's example being the kind of stories we were hearing prior to passage of ACA.

5. junkman

State:
    Tennessee
    I've never seen an indemnity plan worth buying. The generally misleading brochure that many agents use for presentation say "up to $xxxx" and neglect to note that you'll need cancer, diabetes (sudden onset), heart attack, accidental hospital stay, stroke & another accident to collect even a reasonable amount toward the 1st incident's bills.

6. dorado

dorado Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    My STM in VA can only be written for max 3 months with UHC. What carrier can do it for a longer term?

7. tonyisme

tonyisme Well-Known Member

State:

Just got an interesting email from Petersen Intl. Their STM plan lasts 3 months but seems like they have made an improvement

8. junkman

State:
    Tennessee
    I really can't recommend a 3 month STM unless that is the longest it will be needed. 2018 is shaping up to be a very interesting cluster ****. Guess I'll have to hire some (healthy) people and write a group.

9. AllenChicago

AllenChicago Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Maybe the 2-person group will reappear for 2018.

10. scagnt83

scagnt83 Well-Known Member

State:
    South Carolina
    It exists already in 2017. Maybe not in all states though.