Successful Door Knocking Tips Question?

I know a young E.D (no, it does not stand for what you think it does!) Jones broker who takes his beautiful golden retriever with him door to door on Saturday afternoons (on a leash of course.) The dog never fails to get attention and he gets lots of clients... especially other dog owners.

bdy_duke.jpg

(This is Duke, the Bush Beans dog. I assume you've seen the Jay and Duke commercials on TV? I met Duke and Jay a couple of years ago at a convention in NYC. It is not really Jay's dog... Duke is a professionally trained actor-dog... who earns way, way more than Jay does!)

bdy_JayandDuke.jpg

Make sure you wear a football or motorcycle helmet to protect your face from door slamming! 

Doing something it better than doing nothing. I say if you have no money and can't think of anything else to try. Why Not try doing this?

I wish I lived near Vanquish, I'd like to go out and do some door knocking with him. It's a lot more fun when you have a buddy across the street, competition motivates us.

Questions for successful Agents that got most of your business from Door Knocking I have alot of experience knocking doors in other industries but am not very good on the telephone. So My Manager suggested I do some door knocking for appointment sets. I was hoping you would be so kind and answer for me, a few questions on your tips for good results door knocking. My products are LIfe, LTC, Final Expense, Health (Mostly Seniors) and Med sups; due to the Medicare Laws, I avoid MA and dual eligibles.
1. Do you go with a co-agent or go alone?
2. What time of day is your most successful time of day? Day of the Week?
3. What product works best for you if you were to mention one at the door?
4. What demographics works best for you?
Age Range
Average Income level
Average home value
5. Your dress code, Casual or Professional?
6. Do you leave any thing behind for no one home, ie, Door hanger or Magnet?
7. How many doors do you knock a day or week?
8. Do you go back to the same areas over and over again to let the neighborhood recognize you.
9. Finally, any scripts you can attach would be appreciated!!

I would really appreciate any help you can offer to me so I can generate excellent success like you have attained. To make answering quick, just short answers to the numbers would suffice. Have a super successful year of 2011! Warmest Regards!! Gerald :)

If you already have "a lot of experience" door knocking, you should be giving advices instead because the vast majority of agents have absolutely 0 experience with it.

You should also know that it's impossible to target a certain sector while knocking residential doors.

I canvass businesses and can tell you that you can be very successful if you have a lot of experience walking up and talking to a lot of strangers. After a while you can tell whether the business is worth pursuing as soon as you walk in and know what to say as soon as you take a look at the owner. This can only be learned from A LOT OF EXPERIENCE (a.k.a. a lot of fxxxing up). What you sell doesn't make much difference if you have that experience.

Only take someone with you if they are able to keep their mouths shut and let you do all the talking since you have the experience. JMO

Frank,

While I agree with you that one can be really successful going to businesses or D2D there is a starting point where one has to make a decision to do something long enough before trowing in the towel.

For new D2D/B2B knockers: if you can get someone with experience to go with you GREAT! if not do this:

1. Talk to someone thats done AND is successful at going D2D/B2B ask them how they do it and WHY.

2. Do it! There is no replacement for doing.period.
you do it or you hit the bricks pal.

do a search on this forum. I think it was healthagent that started out going B2B among others that stated out with not more than desire and had success!!

If you already have "a lot of experience" door knocking, you should be giving advices instead because the vast majority of agents have absolutely 0 experience with it.

You should also know that it's impossible to target a certain sector while knocking residential doors.

I canvass businesses and can tell you that you can be very successful if you have a lot of experience walking up and talking to a lot of strangers. After a while you can tell whether the business is worth pursuing as soon as you walk in and know what to say as soon as you take a look at the owner. This can only be learned from A LOT OF EXPERIENCE (a.k.a. a lot of fxxxing up). What you sell doesn't make much difference if you have that experience.

Only take someone with you if they are able to keep their mouths shut and let you do all the talking since you have the experience. JMO

I did a lot of door knocking in my early years and had a lot of success with it.
A lot of times Itook another agent from the same office and he would knock one side of the street and I would knock the other.
It helped keep it interesting because anytime I was having a bad day of it he was having a good one and vice versa.
My advice with residential knocking:
1. Have a flyer about some product or concept that you are promoting with your contact info
2. When they open the door get straight to the point about who you are, where you're from and why you're knocking on their door today.
I targeted seniors but I learned to have an alternative flyer ready for young adults that was more interesting to them.
I did make quite a few sales right from the initial cold knock but my main goal was setting appointments not selling at the knock.
I will always remember my last day I door knocked. September 11, 2001.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
A couple of other tidbits Iearned when knocking:
1. it goes WAY better when kids are in school. Once they are out for summer the kids answer the door and scream back and forth to mom or grandma and it ruins your initial impression.
2. Nice quality inkpens (or ice scrapers or lint brushes or flashlights, etc.) with your logo and contact info to give away will always buy you a few minutes of talking time with seniors.

Last edited:
I did a lot of door knocking in my early years and had a lot of success with it.
A lot of times Itook another agent from the same office and he would knock one side of the street and I would knock the other.
It helped keep it interesting because anytime I was having a bad day of it he was having a good one and vice versa.
My advice with residential knocking:
1. Have a flyer about some product or concept that you are promoting with your contact info
2. When they open the door get straight to the point about who you are, where you're from and why you're knocking on their door today.
I targeted seniors but I learned to have an alternative flyer ready for young adults that was more interesting to them.
I did make quite a few sales right from the initial cold knock but my main goal was setting appointments not selling at the knock.
I will always remember my last day I door knocked. September 11, 2001.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
A couple of other tidbits Iearned when knocking:
1. it goes WAY better when kids are in school. Once they are out for summer the kids answer the door and scream back and forth to mom or grandma and it ruins your initial impression.
2. Nice quality inkpens (or ice scrapers or lint brushes or flashlights, etc.) with your logo and contact info to give away will always buy you a few minutes of talking time with seniors.

A great post. Why did you stop? Did you find better ROI on doing something else?

Back